Sunday, October 28, 2012

Scones!

Scones and coffee equal a beautiful combo for some mornings. :) And tasty too! ;)

We are breakfast eaters! I love making huge breakfasts with pancakes (or waffles or french toast), eggs (made to order!), turkey bacon, diced potatoes (or hash browns), and fruit. Mmm!

But mornings that I don't have time to make a big one, I can whip up these scones pretty quickly. I love warm breakfasts, especially if we don't have any yummy cereal. :)

The recipe that I have been using for years is out of Betty Crocker's Cookbook Bridal Edition, given to us as a wedding gift from some dear friends. :) Thank you, again, Rachel! :)

For all those who have asked, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get the recipe up! Without further ado, here it is!

Photobucket
{I used orange crystalized sugar to top this one :) Partly because it was one of the colors I have and it's fun for fall. :)}

Betty Crocker's Scones! :)

Prep: 15 min. Bake: 16 min. Makes: 8 scones

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour {I split it 1 cup whole wheat/3/4 cup white, still great texture & nice taste too :)}
3 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup firm butter or stick margarine {I always use butter & leave it in the fridge until ready for the butter step}
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup currants or raisins {I use craisins}
4 to 6 tablespoons half and half {I use milk bc it's usually all we have}
Additional half and half {I use milk here too :)}
White coarse sugar crystals (decorating sugar) or granulated sugar {you can use different colors for fun too :)}

1. Heat oven to 400*
2. Mix flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Cut in butter, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in egg, currants and just enough of the 4 to 6 tablespoons half-and-half so dough leaves side of bowl.
3. Place dough on lightly floured surface {I use white, since I used more wheat earlier}, gently roll in flour to coat. Knead lightly 10 times. Roll or pat into {I always just pat w/ a little flour on my hands} 8-inch cirle on an ungreased cookie sheet. Cut into 8 wedges with a sharp knife that has been dipped in flour, but do not separate wedges. Brush with additional half-and-half; sprinkle with sugar crystals.
4. Bake 14-16 minutes or until golden. Immediately remove from cookie sheet; carefully separate wedges. Serve warm. {Still super yummy even cold the next morning, with coffee :)}

1 Scone: Calories 250 (Calories from fat 90); Fat 10g (Saturated 6g); Cholesterol 50mg; Sodium 360mg; Carbohydrate 37g (Dietary fiber 1g); Protein 4g Daily Value: Vitamin A 8%; Calcium 10%; Iron 10%

Lemon-Poppy Seed Scones: Omit currants. Sitr in 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel {I end up just using lemon juice :)} and 1 tablespoon poppy seed with the egg.

Enjoy!! :)

  Photobucket

Do you have any scone recipes that you love??

4 comments:

Renee said...

Looks good! Maybe I will try it with chocolate chips instead of raisins. :)

Lauren said...

Mmm...those look delish! Perfect for any time of day!

Joelle said...

those look great! my scones are more like cake, but they are so easy and soooo yummy. always a huge hit!
http://djcannon.blogspot.com/2009/05/cream-scones.html

Cajun Cowgirl said...

Scones are some of my favorite things ever! Thanks for posting the recipe.


Twitter   Pinterest   RSS

Newest Edition

 photo IMG_7802_zps455365ec.jpg

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved