Thursday, August 23, 2012

School Chairs DIY Makeover: Before and After!

I've been working really hard on creating a {Home}School Room for the littles (I really wanted to say babies... where oh where has the time gone ;))!

I wanted to have a space that is functional, fun, and fosters learning and excitement. I can't wait to show you the finished space! When it is finished ;)

I have done some DIYs for it and one project was their chairs! This was the first time I had done anything like this!

We have four of these chairs, passed down to us when we got married, over 9 years ago! The cushions, I wouldn't really call cushions, felt like you were sitting straight on the wood ;), and everything about them was dated (and stained, I don't even want to know how or why).

Here is the before and after!!

  Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

The how-to for the cushions :)

Photobucket Photobucket
{This is the foam I used, from Hobby Lobby, don't forget to use a 40% coupon!}

How much did it cost??

1. Chairs: Old and Free! (We just lightly, aka quickly ;), sanded them :))
2. Fabric: $1.88/yard but didn't use full yard, used for other projects too! So we'll go with $1! Used 40% coupon at Hobby Lobby for $2.99 fabric :) And already had staple gun.
3. Foam: $16 after 40% coupon, used less than 1/2, so let's say $7. I was able to cut 4 cushions (for other two chairs that we have as well and still have some left over :))
4. Paint: Already had, did three coats. Started out by trying spray paint primer then white and it didn't work out well for me ;) It was probably me, I used so much and it still didn't cover great. So Hubby stepped in for me and painted them! :)

Total: $8! 

(Or including my spray paint mishap $13 but I still have spray paint left for other more simple projects! ;))

We love how they turned out! They go perfectly in the School Room!

10 comments:

Lynsey said...

These look so good! I've always wanted to makeover a chair but never thought I'd be able to do the cushion part. Perhaps I'll give it a try.

Ashley Paige said...

LOVE THEM! Cannot wait to see your "school room!"

Immeasurably More Mama said...

Very nice! I like the bright, cheery colors.

the workaholic momma said...

wow...what a difference!!! these look wonderful..i cant wait to see the rest of the room:)

Amy said...

these look great!! love the fun colors you chose :)
can't wait to see the rest of the school room.

Jennifer said...

These are SO cute!
Ican't wait to see how it all comes together :)

Amy @ Forever 29 said...

Fun! I know the littles will love their new chairs!

ARK said...

Adorable, cannot wait to see the rest, so much fun you are gonna have teaching those sweeties.

Desiree Lynn said...

They are so bright and cheery. Love the transformation! Great job and I'm excited to see the rest.

Lauren jonczak said...

Wow, you did an amazing job with those chairs. I was looking up how to make school chairs because I want to turn my back room into an old school room. I can't wait to see the finished project. Thanks for sharing.


Twitter   Pinterest   RSS

Newest Edition

 photo IMG_7802_zps455365ec.jpg

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved