This is something until just a couple years ago we did not think we would ever do. I won't even mention some of the phrases that we've all heard about homeschooling families or homeschooled childrens.
Yeeears ago, we maaay have agreed with some of those things. ;)
But things have changed, mindsets have changed, and we are so excited about it! And I say, we, because Hubby is 150% on board and we made the decision together. (yes I said 150% bc that's how excited he is about it too :))
There are so many resources, there are so many groups, co-ops, and activities to be involved in. We are excited to jump in. Are there some concerns? Sure. Will we do everything we can to overcome them? Absolutely.
Here is the main question that we have gotten so far: "Why are you going to homeschool?" Very valid question. ;)
Let me say first, that some say, "Well, since they're with me all day long, they won't listen or learn from me as well as from a different person in a different place."
I will say, I thought that once too. I have always done a lot with our littles as far as academics (in a fun playtime environment) since they were teeny. But I thought, well once we get to real school age, maybe it won't work.
My opinion has completely changed on that too!
Reasons We Decided Homeschooling is Right For Our Family:
*Btdubs - We have nothing against families who public-school their little ones, this is just what we feel is right for our family. I was a high school (and middle school) teacher, I know how wonderful so many teachers out there are! And we may decide at some point that it is time for public school.*
- We are excited about having our little ones home. We love them and love spending time with them and together as a family and cliche or not, life is so short and goes by so so fast.
- We want to be the ones that have the most time per day to disciple our little ones. They are our most important disciples.
- We can complete our curriculum in a few hours or less. With much less in-between time between each subject/activity. That means we will have the rest of the time to spend as a family.
- We will be involved in at least one or two wonderful homeschool groups/co-ops, which will allow the littles to be in learning classroom settings, have parties, field trips, and events will other littles their ages. And they will have other opportunities for group activities through our county or local organizations/companies.
- On a smaller note, we will not be bound by any specific schedule for traveling.
- While we believe that our little ones should not be sheltered from "the world" their entire lives, because they need to learn how to deal with situations themselves, make their own decisions based on the morals and knowledge they have learned at home... 1. they are still little (especially at this age), and we are glad to have the opportunity to root these morals, Godly principles and character, philosophy, etc. for more time. 2. Discipline handled in the classroom might not be how we would prefer it to be handled for this age. 3. For now, we do not want to have to re-teach behavior/speaking/etc., or ask, "where did you learn that... who said that... we don't say things like that right... we don't act like that right." We already get this sometimes with the current activities they're in and because they are little people. :) And there will plenty of time for those questions. Re-teaching will have to happen at times. They also use their foundation and principles to know that even though others' say or do those things, we don't. But it doesn't hurt to have some extra years for Godly character and philosophy reinforcement.
That was just simply put. We can expand on any of those points. But in it's simplest form, those are some of our thoughts.
I am going to our state's homeschooling convention very soon!! So here are some questions for you!
Do you homeschool?? What curriculum do you use or do you love? Do you have any homeschooling advice for a newbie?
It's going to be me and these cute, silly, strong-willed, sweet little people! ;) And Hubby as much as he can. :)
It will be an adventure. And one that we are pretty excited about. I am so blessed to have my incredible Hubby. And of course, prayers are always welcome! ;-)