Monday, June 18, 2012

I wish...

I have had this post in my head and in draft form for a while now and I have been hesitant in posting it for many reasons. I write this with great conviction myself. Hubby and I have been talking about this for a long while now. And it has been heavy on our hearts, as we have seen ourselves and those around us focusing on things that don't really matter in the End. We still have a ways to go, but God has been working on us over time, and we are excited about where He has been pushing us since we've been married. 

The question is...

When we all only have moments left to live, would we be saying things like...

I wish I would have...

... spent more time at work than was necessary.

... spent more time by myself.

... bought more/more expensive clothes.

... spent more time at the gym.

... done more things that *I* wanted to do.

... dressed my kids nicer.

... done more house projects.

... went on more vacations.

... bought that shirt or or or because everyone else did.

... talked more about people behind their backs.

... stressed out more for professional pictures.

... made fun of a few more people because of the way they dressed.

... worried more about what people thought of me.

... not hung out with or talked to those people because I didn't think they were cool enough.

... complained more about my husband, my kids, my life, any-thing.

... fulfilled my dreams more.

... obsessed more about the way I look.

... worried more about "silly" things.

... gotten more blog, twitter, facebook comments.

... spent more time sulking when something didn't go the way *I* wished it would have.

... gotten all the latest technology or cars or or or right when they came out.

... shunned more people because I thought they were inferior based on earthly standards.

... was negative more or commented negatively more on insignificant matters.

Or do you think we would be saying...

I wish I would have...

... spent more time worrying about helping other people instead of focusing on my *needs.*

... spent more time with my family, friends, or serving.

... shared His good news with more people before it was too late.

... given more money to those in need, instead of buying that *thing* I *needed.*

... spent more time thinking about others' needs. Who really needed.

... spent more time in prayer.

... spent more time reading His word.

... been obedient.

... gone to an important friend's event, to encourage them, even though I was tired or wanted to work on something else that day.

... thought more about His goals, not mine.

... given more people the opportunity to live eternity with Him in heaven.

... realized His sense of urgency.

Or would we like to hear Him say, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

What do we need to alter to make that happen?

We have been guilty of some of these for sure.

Living "the American dream" and having all of the things that are nice or that we deserve (this just makes me cringe) or that the world has said are necessities or important, have *nothing* to do with living for Him or being obedient to Him.

Are most of these things bad? No. If they become idols? Of course. Is it good to refresh? Sure. Is it fun to get something that a friend has because it was a good deal or cute? Yep. Is it bad to lean on earthly things for happiness and assurance? Yup.

Each of us struggle with different things. Some that we might be too prideful to admit.

And, everyone spends their money and time on different things, so we don't have a place to judge anybody.

The ultimate question is: Where is our focus? 

Earthly pleasures or Eternal hopes, victories, and ramifications? All of which will not only affect us but too many other people, who are all God's precious children. He loves them all. And has asked us to serve, take care of, encourage, and share His good news - that is what we've been put here to do. And He is so good, we have lots and lots of stories, if you would ever like to hear.

Where is our focus?

My intention is not to belittle anyone or hurt any feelings (y'all know I am super sensitive to this), but hopefully to encourage, because I am convicted all the time. Where is my focus? It is a great area for the devil to grab an easy foothold, and we don't even notice, thinking, "Oh, it's normal for me to feel like this, or want this," when in fact... it's not. It's not what God put us here for. Not even close.

Matthew 6:19-21 Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. ***For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.***

Fairly recently became one of my all time favorite verses. In our kitchen as a constant reminder. (You know I spend a lot of time in the kitchen ;)) "For where your treasure is..."

What are we teaching these people? And by our actions? Our words? Our attitudes? :) 

Photobucket 

7 comments:

Christy said...

Absolutely, hands down one of the best posts I could possibly read. This sounds word for word what my pastor preached about at church. Love this to pieces, you preacher girl you:)

Thanks for posting your heart!

Rebecca Jo said...

Fantastic post!!!!!!!
Such a great reminder.
Its so easy to get wrapped up in such stupid things... things we THINK are important..
I just read a book & the whole point, in the end, the character was in Heaven & wanted everyone to know - the ONLY thing that matters is God... nothing else..
This post just lined up with that thought - love that..
Feel like God's trying to get it through my head :)

Kodi said...

D! This is SO where my heart has been the last few months. I even posted about it, but it was not well-written and people didn't get what I was trying to say, so I took it down. I absolutely, 100% agree with you. Yes, I very often fall victim to wanting more or better things, but I've really had a lot of self-reflection recently over this and what I saw in myself wasn't very pretty. One of my friend's dads (who was also a preacher) always used to say, "Is it eternally significant?" Basically, if the answer is no, then we shouldn't spend any time worrying or being upset about it. Doing so is usually a result of sin. Pretty powerful. For a worry wart such as myself, this has been life altering. Thank you for being brave enough to post this.

Lauren said...

EVERYONE and I mean everyone needs to read this!!!!!! SO GREAT!!!!!!

Abby said...

I'm new to your blog (Kodi shared it on FB) but I am so encouraged and convicted by this post. It's easy to feel like we "deserve" to be selfish, (especially when we're mothering small kiddos who tend to drain us!) but what a great reminder to focus on the eternal during the everyday moments. I don't want to have any regrets.

Blessings to you, new blog friend! :)

http://thechoulife.com

Renee said...

Great post!

W said...

Love this


Twitter   Pinterest   RSS

Newest Edition

 photo IMG_7802_zps455365ec.jpg

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved