Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Boys' Birthday Party: Theme, Cake, Decorations, Food, and Dets

I have had so much fun planning for the boys' birthday party. I don't know if I will admit how loooong I have been planning/making everything ;) but I love that each year we/they will be able to look back at pictures and see what they were into at that time each year.

Theme:

Cars! A Car Party! Not the movie but just the fun of driving cars around, parking them, lining them up, again and again, having them "help people." They love anything that rolls... cars, trucks, trains, big ones, little ones, fancy ones, and just plain ole' solid color ones, that use just use every bit of imagination to make fun. :)

Here are the invitations and I made the return labels with the little cars on them to match. :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

I ended up making them shirts too :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Cake:

I have been so excited (and a little nervous) to make their special cake for their birthday each year. I love the tradition and hope they do too! (Here are the ones from the last year and the previous two years.)

I am so happy with the how it turned out. I love the grass around the roads, the puffy cloud and trees, and do the names look like they're written like clouds too? That was my goal ;). I made the little cars on it out of fondant, wheels and all!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Decorations:

I love love love all of the fun colors together. Light blue, yellow, orange, red, and light green. I just think they are great for a little one's party and they are such happy colors. :) I made pom poms for the dining room, kitchen and family room, the cupcake toppers, their happy birthday banner (I love the yellow polka dot ribbon :)), silverware wrappers, and the orange and green polka dot pompom trim runners (I made for their birthday last year). And Hubby's wonderful brother made the car images for me to decorate with! Thank you again Uncle J!

We made roads out of black cardstock and painted on the dotted lines! (Thank you for your great ideas to implement the design and for your help with so much of them Lauren (and Hubby, Dad, and Andrew!)

Photobucket

The Food Table, Cupcake n' Candy Bar, and Drink Station:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Watermelon car my *amazing* mom made!!! She even made a lemon steering wheel too! :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Cupcake 'n Candy Bar

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

H'ordeuvres Table in the Kitchen

Photobucket

Photobucket

Drink Station

Photobucket

Favors:

I made the stickers to go on the favor bags. And each bag had a big bottle of bubbles, a little container of playdough, sidewalk chalk, a bouncy ball, and a little pull back car.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Activities:

I took boxes that held printer paper (my mom collected them all for us from work! they didn't mind :)) and turned them into cardboard box cars! I spray painted up and made two special ones for the birthday boys and one for each little guest to get to decorate themselves for some races in the front yard and to take home with them. Hubby was awesome and put a coat of primer on each one so the little ones could see all of their designs much better. And to reinforce the boxes and look like bumpers, I used soft duct tape! :) Thank you to Lauren and my Dad for helping with some of them too!

I cut out yellow headlights, red rear lights, license plates for their names, made wheels, and had crayons and stickers all ready for them to decorate with.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And then we had a fantastic bubble machine that the kids had such a fun time with.

Photobucket
{The birthday boys the next morning before opening presents :)}

It was such a fun day! Next post, the birthday boys, guests, and races in their cardboard box cars. :)

24 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh my goodness! Everything is just too cute! I love it all...the detail is fabulous!

Sweet Simplicity said...

This is amazing!! It seriously looks like it was done by a professional party planner. I can't get over all the details, fun colors, and that CAKE! Oh the cake. You did such a great job on everything. I could go on and on about all the fun things you did.

Jillian said...

Such a cute party!!! Good job!!

Faith said...

You did such a fabulous job, my friend! I love all of the fun details - those cardboard box cars are so cute and creative! I know that your boys felt very loved and had the best time being celebrated!

In this wonderful life... said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Everything looks SO AMAZING!!! you did so so so so good planning and coordinating anything! LOVEEEEEE it all!!

Renee said...

Wow! Everything looks so beautiful! It looks like a magazine article.

Our Plain Life said...

Super cute! So glad you were able to come to GNO after this great party! :) Fun to see you and let us know if you are heading through KC on your wild and crazy trip.

Clemson Girl said...

You did such a fantastic job! I am loving every little detail!

daniella said...

Dang, you put Martha to shame! That cake is unreal...where do you find the time and patience? HA! Everything looks awesome, I'm sure both the boys and guests will remember the birthday for a long time.

dottiewolf said...

Wow you are truely amazing. You should go into the business of making cakes. Just awesome.

the workaholic momma said...

Oh my goodness - everything is perfect and simply adorable!!! Your cake making skills are out of this world - how impressive and the decorations are amazing!!! Happy birthday to your boys:)

Laura @ My Thoughts-Uninterrupted said...

What a cute party! I am currently planning my little boys first birthday party and am so glad I got started ahead of time (who knew there was so much to do!). I love the box car idea...that is fabulous. I'm going to have to store that one in the back of my mind for a future party idea!

New follower!

Lindsey said...

SO CUTE!! I love the decor and the cake is beautiful!!!

Trina said...

I love the all the colors you used and that cake is AMAZING!!! You are so talented! Great job momma!

Lauren said...

Oh my goodness!!!!!! Everything was just amazing!!! I mean EVERYTHING!!! Great job, my friend!!! I know the kids enjoyed their special day so much!!! :)

Becca said...

Oh my word that party could not be cuter :-)it turned out awesome - and that cake is just amazing!

Casa Cannon said...

really really cute! the kids, and the decorations! :)

The Branches said...

You out did yourself Momma! I know I always say this but I LOVE your orange dining room! Everything is so cute I can't pick just one thing!

California Wife said...

What an amazing party for your two adorable boys! All of the details came together perfectly, you did a fantastic job!

The Byrons said...

I love your party theme! How did you make all the car decorations? And where did you get the cupcake stands! Love it all!

New follower :)

The Byrons said...

I love your party theme! How did you make all the car decorations? And where did you get the cupcake stands! Love it all!

New follower :)

LyndsAU said...

UM-can we say super mom!!! you are awesome and so loving to these sweet boys (and girl) :) The theme was awesome and everything looked SO good. WHY OH WHY can't we live closer so you could help me with ALM's party?? :)

67e3d316-9b79-11e1-a985-000bcdcb2996 said...

I really wish I could see all your pictures, apparently photobucket is requiring an upgrade! I have a "race car" party coming up for my soon to be 5 year old and was hoping to be inspired through your pictures. :-/
But thanks for writing all the details, that part is helpful too!

Cynthia Carter said...

Hello,
I'm interested in your photos, but it says your account needs to be updated. Id like to see what you did! Thank you.


Twitter   Pinterest   RSS

Newest Edition

 photo IMG_7802_zps455365ec.jpg

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved