Monday, April 4, 2011

Kitchen Before and After

Really this is the Before and "Just About" After :) Finally! ;) I kept not sharing because it still isn't completely completed, but it's time. :)

It still needs new lighting over the kitchen table, maybe one above the sink and/or desk area, and we're contemplating 2 pendants above the island (if it won't look too busy with the overhead lighting) and curtains.

We moved into our new house almost 2 years ago now. We've enjoyed buying semi fixer uppers (no structural damage) because we've gotten great deals, while knowing we can make the profitable upgrades for better deals than if we paid for the house already upgraded. We - especially me ;) - are deeeeal shoppers, I drive myself crazy, *crazy* I tell you, trying to find the best deals, deep breath... The houses really just need a lot of updating, new carpet, kitchen countertops, appliances, paint (de-wallpapering, yikes), and a lot of love.

Over the course of a year and a half, this is what we've done... and we (err, mostly Hubby ;)) did almost all of it ourselves to save *a lot* of money. Hubby is won-der-ful and has taught himself (I am such a proud wife!) how to do everything - lighting, plumbing, and so much more ;). He installed the overhead lighting, appliances, floor, faucet, we painted the cabinets and he installed hardware to the cabinets (having to redrill every single new hinge and drill for all the new hardware).

Before

Photobucket
{pic from the listing}

Photobucket
{first before pic from when we moved in, there was no fridge when we moved in, so that was our first purchase :)}

After

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had originally gotten this fabric (last year) for the curtains or at least the one over the window... but not sure if it's too modern or too... something. :) Can you have one color over the half window and the fairly plain color (like the ivory in this fabric) for sliding glass door?

Photobucket

And not sure if it's too much orange in the house. ;) The kitchen is open to the family room (orange rug) pictured below and walks into the dining room (orange walls)... or could this be considered tying the rooms together? :)

Photobucket

I'm also looking for new flour jars for the countertop. I'd love pretty glass jars with a cute handle, but with big mouths, so I can level a one cup measuring cup without getting a little flour on the counter. :) Any other decorations you think that would look nice??

What we did:
*Replaced countertops (got free deep, two tub sink) - found good cheap company, got least expensive granite (but it's granite :))
*Replaced faucet
*Replaced (over the course of time) all appliances - Lowes price matches, so I went online and found the cheapest prices I could find, and a great guy at our Lowes did it for us every time... they normally only price match brick and mortar stores, not online retailers, but I told him we'd be buying a lot from them and he was awesome.
*Overhead lighting - Hubby installed
*Painted, hung (coffee :)) wall art, painted cabinets, attached hardware for cabinets
*Floor - we chose a vinyl that looks like ceramic tile so it's nice and soft for the babies and was really cheap, pretty easy to install ourselves (mostly Hubby ;)), and super easy maintenance. It was a good choice for our fam for now.

A lot of times you can find a 10% coupon at Lowes or Home Depot, they take each other's coupons or sometimes they'll have special deals to buy a gift card and you get additional money put on it for free. Keep your eyes out for sales on the items you need and you can even ask the employees if they know when the next lighting, flooring, etc. sale will be if they're not on sale when you first look. :)

22 comments:

Lauren said...

OH my goodness...I LOVE IT!!! It looks so clean & modern, but yet oh so functional for your family!

PinkSass said...

LOVE the dark grantie. WOW what an amazing difference.

Erica said...

This looks great! I'm really loving your blue/orange combo. I think having that fabric in the kitchen would tie the two rooms together nicely, but it is hard to tell without seeing in person. Great work! :)

Erica said...

We also just did a kitchen remodel, well we're ALMOST done. I'm hoping to blog finished pics anytime now...if I can just get my hubby to finish getting the trim all put on, haha!

Ashley said...

It looks great! Hubby installed the can lighting in the ceiling?! Impressive! :) And painting cabinets is NOT easy work, so y'all put so much into it! And it paid off :) I like the fabric you're thinking of for the curtain over the sink area (I think?) And I think that yes, it does tie the rooms all together. And you could definitely just do that little pop of color over the sink and then just match the ivory in that fabric to do larger curains on your sliders. Oh I love love home reno and decorating! :)

Gooch Family said...

Looks FANTASTIC!!

Newlywed Next Door said...

UM love it! Doesn't even look like the same space. Nice work!

The Pink Chick said...

Your kitchen is so so so cute! I love it! It looks like a totally new space!

The Branches said...

It looks AMAZING!!! I love what you did with it! It looks so fresh and clean and brand new now :)

Perfectly Imperfect said...

wow! it looks great!! i love how crisp and clean it looks!

Lyr said...

ok, the kitchen looks fantastic! LOVE IT

Tara Gibson said...

looks SOOO good! Love the orange! and the white cabinets

Jackie said...

Love this! I just starred your post because we need to do some stuff to the kitchen in our new house. I am particularly interested in painting the cabinets. I was just researching how to do it the other night!

Wendy said...

Hey! I just stumbled upon your blog and just love it. What a gorgeous home and precious family you have been blessed with. Thanks for writing!

Joelle said...

Did I already comment? I meant to! it looks great!! love it! I'm about to go look at your NYC post.. i think we might be going for a couple days

hann said...

You should shop around for your counter height chairs to get the look and feel that you want for your kitchen or dining area. While you are shopping, if you happen to be looking for a new countertop as well, keep an eye on kitchen countertops prices. They’ve gotten great reviews and customer feedback.

Rachel said...

Wow! He has done an amazing job. The final product looks fabulous! One day when we own a home, J's dream is to fix it all up on his own. He has a lot of learning to do!

Heather said...

It looks simply gorgeous!!! Love the paint color on the cabinets!! Happy Monday. :)

Our Plain Life said...

Looks great!

Mrs. Potts said...

Oh my goodness! I love how wonderful your new kitchen looks. The fabric is beautiful & would work well, in my opinion.

I'd love to upgrade our kitchen, but not sure how soon we could actually do that.

Melissa at Tall Blonde said...

I love all of the colors in your family room and the kitchen looks awesome!
In the process of "addressing" my family room and just starting to test some colors. Love the blues, greens and oranges right now.

Kelly said...

Wow! It looks great! Love the new kitchen look and I love your colors!


Twitter   Pinterest   RSS

Newest Edition

 photo IMG_7802_zps455365ec.jpg

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved