Wednesday, September 22, 2010

New York!! Day 1

We're back from our vacay!! I couldn’t put the exact dates or dets on the blog before we left, family safety first, but oh we had so much fun! We're so glad we chose New York, it was a great mix between adventure and relaxation (a little/lot more on the adventure side :)). We had a Broadway show each night and then planned our days to just walk around and explore however we wanted. We were so excited about seeing some shows, we hadn't seen many yet, but I just love that we both love to see them together!

This was our first vacation with just the two of us for longer than a couple days since our honeymoon over 7 years ago! We still can't believe that we were able to do it! And it would not have been possible without my Mom!!! More on that later! :-) We spent 3 nights/4 days in New York and then our last night and day in a town close to home. It was perfect! and of course we missed the boys and talked to them everyday :)

Thursday
We left our house at 1:15 am to start our drive! That meant Hubby had gotten less than two hours sleep and I only got a couple hours in the car. But we left so early for two reasons: smooth sailing of a drive, and the attempt to get standby tickets to the Regis and Kelly show! :) Jon Hamm (Don Draper from Mad Men) was on that day (along with Rachael Ray, we were obviously more excited about seeing Mr. Hamm :)). By the time we got there, drove around a little, found a parking garage, walked to the ABC studio, it was about 6:05am and we were #s 6 and 7 in the standby line! It was still dark outside :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

We ended up being the excited potential audience members right behind the the super excited ones that made it into the show taping. At that point, we had already gone through security and were inside the building. Since they don't tape on Fridays, they do two tapings on Thursday, so they asked the next 4-6 of us if we wanted to stay and see if we could get into the next taping. If some were going to leave after the first taping, we could "get in". So we and the two ladies behind us decided to stay. We were let through the little gates into what we all called the VIP Loser Lobby :), to watch the show and then see if we could get in. :)

Photobucket

It ended up working out perfectly!! Why??? Because, Mr. Jon Hamm, after his interview, decided to come through the little secure lobby to leave!! Ahhhh! We thought he might come through, so Hubby and I discussed ahead of time, that I would get up, ask for a pic, and he took the camera to be ready! Sure enough Mr. Hamm, came out! I hopped up, and very calm and collected ;), asked if he wouldn't mind taking a picture and he was SO nice!! As Hubby pointed out, he put his arm around me, took our pic, and was so kind! He asked when we were due and if it was a boy or a girl. He was SO nice! We're pretty good friends now, we were going to invite him to lunch or dinner, but knew his schedule was probably quite busy ;-).

Photobucket
I look ginormous and completely goofy in this pic but it's Jon Hamm!! :) (pic below in same outfit to show I am not as big as an elephant ;-))

Then! we ended up getting into the second taping.

Photobucket

We saw Regis, before he left for Anderson Cooper to fill in for him.

Photobucket

Photobucket

and Caroline Rhea (she's a comedian and was on Sabrina the Teenage Witch) was there just for fun. She came in to watch the show and was really nice as well! She went to Starbucks before the show :)

Photobucket

Between a couple commercial breaks, Kelly came and talked to the audience. She is even tinier in person!

Photobucket

It was such a fun experience to get to go to a show taping! And even more incredible that we got missed the first taping, and ended up that we got to meet Jon Hamm!!!

Next, we wanted to stay close and leisurely so we walked around near Central Park for a spot for lunch before heading to our hotel. We ate at a yummy Chinese restaurant. We got vegetable tempura (yummmy!!), Peking duck (best ever!), and Hubby's fave, sweet and sour chicken. SO yummy!

Photobucket

The lady came to the table and made up all of the duck wraps! mmmmmm! :)

Photobucket

We stopped by the highly recommended Magnolia Bakery for a yummy cupcake :) and then headed to our hotel. We stayed at the Westin Times Square. It ended up being a GREAT location. The subway was less than a block away and it was close to everything. Here was our view :) (see, this is the same outfit as the pic earlier that morning with Mr. Hamm ;-))

Photobucket

We had 5:30 reservations for Carmine's and the the Broadway show, Wicked!! It was such a fun night. We got the Stuffed Artichoke appetizer and then Hubby's choice, good ole spaghetti and meatballs. It was really yummy.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was a wonderful show! and loved Defying Gravity! :) We had such a fun first day in New York!!!


p.s. don't forget to enter my Le Creuset Giveaway :)

31 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

You...have....your...arm...around...jon...hamm!!!!!!!!!!!!! How exciting is that!!!!

I'd be more excited about seeing Anderson Cooper - I am in love with that man!

Kelly looks like she'd blow away in the wind!

AND Defying Gravity? Girl - you just lived my dream!!!

Sarah said...

SO FUN!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to read day 2 :) and you look great!! :)

Casa Cannon said...

oh man, he is pretty much a complete hottie! great pics! so glad you had fun! Love Wicked!

Jenna said...

How fun!!! I love NY! So jealous that you got to see R&K!

Lauren said...

Ahhhh, so fun!!!!!!! Can't wait for more! No place like NYC!! :)

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

Oh, I've eaten at Carmine's! Good stuff! Would love to see Wicked. Looks like so much fun! And Regis and Kelly!! Squee!!!

amy (metz) walker said...

SO fun! He's much better looking in that picture than on TV...and you look adorable, friend!

Looks like you had a blast and I definitely want to go see Regis and Kelly one day...I need to get tan and skinny and tell her I want to be her look alike stand in on her vacation days. Ha! ;-)

Mrs. Potts said...

Oh my!!! What a great first day!! Love the pic of you & Jon Hamm. I think you look super cute. :)

5th Belle Avenue said...

Oh my word WHAT FUN!!! And your outfit is ADORABLE! Love that white shirt and your necklace! So glad you had such an incredible time!

In this wonderful life... said...

so fun!!! you guys are too cute!!!

nyc is my fav!

Sweet Simplicity said...

You are adorable! I'm glad you all had such a great first day!

Jen Clark said...

Looks like you had fun - I'm looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip!

daniella said...

Oh, how fun!!!!!!! You did a vacation I've been only dreaming about. And meeting Jon Hamm? You are one lucky woman. I know he's not "Don Draper" but still! Can't wait to hear all about the rest of the days. (And, you looked VERY cute in all the pics :-)

Becca said...

I'm really jealous of that picture of you and jon :-) I'm obviously already on a first name basis with him . . . haha

looks like a fun trip - especially all the delicious food!!!!

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

AH, JON HAMM! I love all of your great photos!

...and Kelly needs to eat a sandwich.

Newlywed Next Door said...

OMG I think you saw more celebs in NYC than I ever see in LA!

Love the pic of you and Jon Hamm! So envious!

I'm going to NYC in Dec -- so excited!

Lucky in Love said...

Amazing!! Glad you two had such a fabulous time :)

Joanna B. @ Newlywed Tales said...

SO glad you had an amazing time! I saw that show on TV (it was my late day at work) How fun!

Newlywed and Decorating said...

Wow! You had a lot of fun in one day! That's fun to get to see all the celebrities and get a picture- very cool! And all the food sounds yummy of course!

Katie said...

It looks like you had a great trip. I am so jealous that you got to see Anderson Cooper!!! HA.

Perfectly Imperfect said...

Ok I was jealous of your trip before, but now that I know you got to see Anderson Cooper.. it is multiplied by tons!!! How cool! And Kelly Ripa! And you have your arm around Jon Hamm. Swoon!! Can't wait to see some more pictures!

Whitney said...

Look at all the celebs you spotted! Yay you! You look adorable in all of your pictures. SO FUN!

Krystyn said...

Wow..your plan really paid off..what a great time.

Brittany Ann said...

Oh my gosh! You met Jon Hamm! I AM SO JEALOUS! That is awesome! He's the one actor I'd like to meet! Mad Men is my fave!

Suz said...

How cool!!! What a fun trip!! Makes me want a vacay even more! :)

Rebecca (Craving Simplicity) said...

John Hamm!!!! Oh my gosh! What a fun trip!

Suzanne said...

That is bizarre! I told Husband tonight when we get a chance I am taking him to NYC just the two of us!

Your pics are great, looks like you had an amazing time!

Renee said...

Looks like a great first day! I noticed how thin Kelly looked in that first picture. She might need the ten pounds the camera adds.

Rachel said...

Ahhh!! So fun!!

I love so much of your day! Cupcakes, WICKED!, Regis and Kelly, Anderson Cooper!! So fun :)

And Kelly is tiny!! I always watch their show and think about how little she is.

A Southern Accent said...

So very cool!!! So jealous you met him - is he as handsome in person as he is on TV??? ;-)

The Shabby Princess said...

Look at you with Don Draper!!!! You look gorgeous as always! I hope I can look as cute as you when I'm pregnant! Glad you two were able to go on a nice vacation.


Twitter   Pinterest   RSS

Newest Edition

 photo IMG_7802_zps455365ec.jpg

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved