Tuesday, April 20, 2010

On Our Nightstand

Books! Well a few little trinkets, clocks, a yummy scented candle, but I'm talking about the books.

I love to read. I've gone through times of reading a lot and then busy times where I've just been too tired to keep my eyes open and I read one paragraph (or if I'm really tired, one sentence) over and over again and then don't remember what it said in the morning, haha. Have you done that?? :)

I admit that in high school, I didn't like being forced to read. :) I still remained an honor roll student but I might not have completed every book assigned. ;) So I thought it would be great to go back and read a lot of the classics. And how much more would we get out of reading them now (and hopefully have a better understanding as well :)). I love reading about history, knowing how things got to where they are, about the honor and hardworking spirit present throughout history, intruiging people and stories. I have been stuck in non-fiction or fiction based on true stories, around the late 1770s, American History, presidents. I keep hearing so many great reviews of some fun chick lit out there, so I started with a highly recommended one.

My Nightstand:

A Classic: Last week I finally finished: The Grapes of Wrath

Mini Review: 4 out of 5 cups of yummy coffee with lowfat vanilla creamer: Took me about 60-70 pages to really get into, but loved the story of the adventure and struggles of a tight-knit, hardworking, family, and the history throughout. Well written, most chapters went between the family's adventure and the struggles/adventure of the state or nation as a whole to give more insight into the story of the Joad's.

Photobucket


A Chick Lit: Currently reading, just started last weekend :) : Something Borrowed: I don't remember the last time I read a chick lit, but I wanted a light fun read and went with a highly recommended one.


Photobucket


A Non-fiction Bible based book for us ladies: So Long Insecurity: I have to see how far I can get by the conference this weekend! I already know I am going to get so much out of this book and the conference, whatwhat ATL ladies! :)


Photobucket


Hubby's Nightstand

Currently Reading: Tender Warrior: Non-fiction book for the men: About men being real men, committing and sticking to those committments, and living as a strong man of God. Hubs recently joined a group of guys to start a men's accountability group and this is the book they chose to read along with our new church (our new church and old church out west have a focus on men and it is awesome). (My Hubby is an amazing man and I love that he constantly strives to be an even better man of God. :))


Photobucket


To read: David Warrior King: A historical novel.


Photobucket


Our Nightstand

Love and Respect: we're starting a marriage study with our small group and this book (and workbook) was highly recommended by so many friends, most of whom have done it, and one friend's church does this study for their couples churchwide.

Photobucket


After these I want to read The Help, Of Mice and Men, another recommended book The Little Lady Agency (anyone read it?) or Something Blue. What's on your nightstand? Or what book is on your list to read soon?

*I just posted about my giveaway today too! Go enter :) You could win $25 (actually $50 because they double your order) of great products! Great way to try some new products out if you win, for free! :)

15 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

I like Emily Griffin... I just got her follow up books to that.

Right now, I'm reading "Bad Girls of the Bible" by Liz Curtis Higgs - & LOVIN' every page of it!

Renee said...

I recently finished So Long Insecurity and I am really looking forward to the conference on Saturday. I have loved all of her Bible Studies and her conferences are amazing.

We did Love and Respect in a small group and I am so glad. Otherwise I wouldn't have finished it. I love the principles and I learned a lot but there is so much repetition in the book and thankfully I couldn't relate to the examples he gave (which seemed to be right out of the 1950s).

Lauren said...

LOVE Something Borrowed, I need to reserve the next one at the library!

Trina said...

I'm about half way through So Long Insecurity! Trying to be through before Saturday but we'll see! {Did you get my email?}

THE Stephanie said...

I'm not a reader, but Love & Respect is GREAT! We actually went to a conference (since I don't read, LOL) and it was so good!

Brittany Ann said...

My nightstand is exactly the same! Stacks of reads! I just love my books!

Becca said...

I love historical fiction for some reason - I might have to check out your hubby's book :-)

I'm excited for the conference this weekend!

Rachel said...

I'm glad you liked Something Borrowed. It's one of my favorite pieces of Chick Lit! You must read Something Blue now!

Shannon said...

I'm currently reading Paula Deen's memoir - It Ain't All About the Cookin'.

It's actually a pretty good book. It's all about her life and how she became a famous cook on tv. You'd never believe some of the stuff she tells in this book. Such as... she was a man's mistress for 10 years. Can you even imagine that? I wanted to stop reading right then, but she went on to say that the person she is now is not the person who she was. She was at one of the lowest points of her life and thought she had no value. Anyways, because the book is so truthful, it's a great book.

Pocketfull of Pink @ 5th Belle Ave said...

I loveee Beth Moore! I once went to one of her conferences in Chicago and actually walked up to her during the break, asked her if I could hug her and then proceeded to tell her that I think she is a TOTAL Holy Hottie. Ha! I was starstruck. She is such an amazing woman! Thanks for sharing your reads!

Gwen said...

Girl I wish I could read. I swear every time I sit down to enjoy a few minutes of reading I instantly feel the need to do something else. I guess I'll just never be a reader. LOL!! XOXO

Short Southern Momma said...

Wow...all these books look fabulous! I love to read a good book, but after reading medical charts all day I just can't seem to do it much anymore. Hope you have a wonderful weekend! xoxo

Molly said...

Great reads! I am so not a reader, but have been trying to get into it...thanks for the suggestions!

Virginia Belle said...

I love anything by Emily Giffen! Something Borrowed was great. So Long Insecurity is next on my reading list. Thanks for the suggestions :)

jenn said...

just found your blog through all the 'meet ups' at Beth Moore!
so glad i came to check it out -- such a fun blog!
i look forward to reading more!!

new follower here and on twitter!!

(@jenngetts)


Twitter   Pinterest   RSS

Newest Edition

 photo IMG_7802_zps455365ec.jpg

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved