Tuesday, March 2, 2010

did i hear a baby say, pass the spoon please mama? :)

with a few edits and additions :)

We started Next Edition on solid food at 6 months old and he is lovin' it! BabyBoy started when he was 5 1/2 months, he was sooo hungry (had to work on my supply more with him :)), he just couldn't wait any longer :) (they have the appetite of their Mommy! ha. Funny, but it's true :)).

One thing that I LOVE doing when they start eating solid food, is making it! It really isn't too hard! Now, peas, we'll talk about that another time :), but everything else is pretty easy! And there's something therapeutic about it! Not that I need therapy, well I guess we could all use a little therapy, haha. (we'll get to that at the Beth Moore conference, hahaha)

You know I love making pretty much everything from scratch, I love knowing that it's straight from the veggie or fruit or there are a small number of ingredients and ones that I can pronounce :). I don't go as far as grinding my own wheat for bread but I have a friend who does, and call me (and my fab friend :)) granola but I think it would be sooo great to do it too! (friend, if you don't mind me calling you out, I'll link to you, and let the world (or just the few "world" that follow my blog :) know how awesome you are!)

Tips I use to make our little guys' baby food :)
[1] Make it in bulk and use the Ice Cube Tray Freeze It Method
[2] Wholesomebabyfood {dot} com
[3] The book: Super Baby Food
[4] The microwave and food processor are your friend :)
[5] Grab some freezer safe baggies and a Sharpie (and feel free to color code! I don't know what you would color code, but I love to color-code anything I can, ha!)

Both the book and the website tell you about every single fruit, veggie, and food, and when it is good to start on your baby on those foods (and why).

Here are a couple different foods and an easy way to prepare them! [I'm sorry the writing is a little difficult to read on the pics! Every color was difficult to read :(]

Photobucket


Photobucket


I forgot to write in the pics, to just add a couple tablespoons of water before you microwave and I always put a microwave cover over the bowl, so it pretty much just steams. And if you boil them on the stove you don't need too much water either! Usually you know when your food is done when a fork can easily go in it!

When you freeze the pureed food into cubes, it makes about 2 tablespoon portions, which is about what a newbie solid food eater eats. So you can just defrost one (either in fridge, over warm water, or in the microwave just be very careful of hotspots) and then as they grow defrost a couple, or a few and your little one will be ready to gobble it up :)! And you can add some rice cereal to it too!

Do you make or want to make your own baby food? Do you have any fab tips?


P.S. and my Hubby loves it too! I always have to make extra for the Hubs, haha! He loves when baby food makin' time begins :)

18 comments:

Erica said...

Do/did you ever use a food mill with #1? (#2 probably isn't quite yet ready for it yet) When I was a nanny, I used them all the time so I only had to prepare one meal for everyone. So nice!

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Wow, it looks so easy. When I have kids I am goign to have to try this!

Trina said...

Look at you! I so wanted to do this when mine were little. Its just harder when you work full time to do things like this. :(

Short Southern Momma said...

I wish this stuff would have been around {or that I knew about it} when Macy was a baby! It looks so healthy! xoxo

Brittany Ann said...

Genius! You're one wonderful momma!

Lindsey said...

You are such a smart mama!! Well done! I need to book mark this for when I have kids!

Taylor @ The Undomestic Momma said...

I loved making R's baby food!!!

Ink Obsession Designs said...

I am definitely going to try this when I have kids! :)

d.a.r. said...

Very cool!!!

The Pink Chick said...

What an awesome post! When I have little ones, I definitely want to try to make their food!

Lyr said...

I always told myself I was going to do this for my kids, but never did! This is so awesome. Thanks for sharing! :)

Lucky in Love said...

These are the best tips I have ever seen!! Thank you so much!

Not that I need it right this second or anything :) Ha!

pocket full of pink said...

This is AWESOME!! Thank you SO much for sharing this! I hope to make food for our own little ones someday. You're a rockstar!

Heather said...

I loved your tutorial!! Now that Mollie eats just about everything we do, I don't need to do this, but I thought it was fun while I could!!

Kristin said...

My mama taught me the ice cube tray freezing method. Perfect portions!!

Meg said...

Great explanation! I have got to try that for my next little one.

LyndsAU said...

SO glad you posted this. I am about to start doing this come April :) yippee! Looks fun!

daniella said...

My Magic Bullet died (a long painful death) the other day so I must now get a replacement. But instead of using the ice cubes, I use the snack size ziplock bags and label each with a marker (date and what it is). Then 5 minutes before mealtime I fill a bowl with boiling/hot water and stick the bag in there. It defrosts perfectly and even warms up the food a bit (Microwaves kind of scare me). I cut a corner and squish out the food in there.

How did he like the zuccini? My boy isn't into vegetables unless they're orange. Great, another picky eater! I gave him mashed avocado the other day and he gagged and threw it up,HA!


Twitter   Pinterest   RSS

Newest Edition

 photo IMG_7802_zps455365ec.jpg

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved