Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Spicy New Year's 2009

We had a wonderful NYE. We had a couple friends and new friends over and had such a fun time. There were 7 adults and 6 kids [three 2 yr olds and three babies all within a few months of each other, respectively =)] and rocked it out until 9:30pm!

We chilled, we ate, the kids played, the adults played, broke out Apples to Apples, and shared lots of laughs [including that J0hn Trav0lta kept showing up even though his card kept being discarded, Hubs said he was going to start showing up behind us in all our pics, haha!].

I made what ended up to be a big... big pot of chili!, cornbread, and spinach and artichoke dip. And our friends brought salad, brownies, and some other yummy healthy appetizer goodies.

Documentable story, I have to document for the fam =): How the chili for a small army (I come from a Jewish family, we have to make sure everybody has enough food even if one extra person is coming over=) yes, that stereotype is true) ended up being multiplied to chili to feed the five thousand...

BabyBoy LOVES to help me and Hubby cook now!

Anytime he sees one of us starting to make something in the kitchen, he runs to the kitchen table and as quick as his little legs can take him, two-handed grabs one of the chairs, and starts vigorously pushing it into the kitchen chanting, "I'm going to help Mommy cook, I'm going to help cook, I'm going to cook!" It is sooo cute, although many times it's not so helpful, especially when time is against us, but I always try to find something for his eager little self to help with.

In this case... spicing.

Chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cumin, crushed red pepper... A little of this, a little of that, turned into a ton of Crushed Red Peppers aka Cayenne Pepper aka if you don't like spicy, you may need a hose supplied with milk.

So the chili became a little spicy. It was exactly how I used to make it, before we had little ones that ate the same meal as we do. =) I knew at least one in the group didn't like spicy and the babies, the babies needed to eat it too.

What to do, what to do. Add to it!

Another can of beans. Still spicy. Another can of tomatoes. Uh oh still spicy. More ground beef. Yep, still spicy. Oh no! Another round. More beans, more meat! Still worried about my guests and the children! (Hubby said it really wasn't fire hydrant spicy but you know me, I wanted to make sure my guests would be ok!). ETA: I kept being laughed at for every can or spoonful of meat that I added.

Now, I was out of pink and red kidney beans, out of tomatoes, and meat, but I did have some black beans. I normally don't put black beans in chili but I asked the crowd and they said sure sounds yummy. So I added one can. Still worried for the crowd and the children. So I added one more. I was out of everything. And the chili was now doubled from a pot to a vat. But it ended up yummy and with a little sour cream, cheese, and onions, that can fix any unwanted spice too=).

Photobucket

[just picture this chili w/ black beans]

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
[taken at the end of the night, I have no make-up left, picture outfit with black boots=) and don't mind my rockin' hair do, didn't really end up having time to do it=)]

Photobucket
Photobucket


Hubby initiated our own little toast right before everyone left at 9:30pm, so we clinked, said Happy New Year, and goodnight. And the kids were amazing. They were up waaaay past their bedtimes but all of them were soo good (and very cute =)).

It was a very fun night. After the toast with our friends, Hubby and I just hung, played some Wii Mario Kart, kissed at midnight (played some more Mario Kart, watched a little late night)... it was a wonderful night. 2010 is going to be a great year!

20 comments:

Brittany Ann said...

How fun! My kind of New Year!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

looks like you guys had a great time! happy new year!

emily said...

hahha i love the chili story...you probably could have invited the whole neighborhood! happy new year! :)

AO said...

Thanks for the chili and convo (and on behalf of hubs, the games!). We had a lot of fun. :)

Renee said...

Happy New Year! I love the picture of the dads playing a video game with babies in their arms!

daniella said...

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about myself: no makeup left on the face by the end of the night. And trust me, your hair looked WAY more polished than mine did. I still can't believe I thought it was Wednesday the 30th.

My fave pic is the one of all the little dudes playing video games.

Good times indeed!

Lauren said...

At least you have plenty of chili for leftovers! Those pics are great, what a wonderful night with friends!

Michelle said...

You looked as lovely as ever! Sounds like you guys had a wonderful NYE!

The kids just got Mario Kart for Christmas and I played for the first time today. I'm really not that good at it. I need more practice or something. ;)

short southern momma said...

Oh wow girl! Looks like so much fun! I wish Dave and I had finds like that ,so we could have get together's. Hope your having a great night and that your 2010 rocks! xoxo

Following HIM said...

What a great New Years! The chilli sounds amazing!
~Elyse

Lindsey said...

That's the best way to celebrate!!

The Shabby Princess said...

Ha, love the chili story!! Sounds like a fun night!

Hollie said...

looks like a great time with friends!
hope you and your precious little family have a wonderful new year!

Gwen said...

That is the best kind of New Year's party. :) We just chilled at home and ate too many cupcakes. LOL!!! XOXO

Weeksie50 said...

It's the most wonderful time of the year..

What a grand time you all had!

Happy New Year!

Lis said...

Your chili looks delish!! Do y'all ever go to Hard Times? I know one is in Old Towne and I'm thinking there are more but I'm not sure! Anywho they have amazing chili and their specialty is chili-mac. Take a bowl and layer - pasta on bottom, a hearty helping of cheddar, a bunch of chili and sour cream on top! YUM! You should try it if you haven't!
And you look so cute in your leggings - I love them! I'm glad y'all had such a fun NYE!

Happy New Year sweetie! xoxo

Saskia said...

2010 is definitely going to be a great year!!!

Happy New Year to you darling!!


Saskia xx

...::Mrs. Southern Bride::... said...

Chili sounds sooo good right about now!! Looks like yall had a great time! :)

That Fresh Feeling said...

What a great way to ring in the New Year!

Q, La, and Gooner said...

Your chili looks oh so tasty! I love it! The pics are grrrrrrrrreat!


Twitter   Pinterest   RSS

Newest Edition

 photo IMG_7802_zps455365ec.jpg

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved