Saturday, December 19, 2009

What To Do When You Have To Hunker Down

Hello friends from the land of snow! It started snowing around 6pm last night and currently there are over 15 inches of snow on the ground! (this pic was around 14 1/2 in=)) ETA: they're calling for over 20 inches!

What to do when you have to hunker down! And you know you won't be leaving your home for at least two days.

Shop! Go out as early as you can after you are sure they are actually pretty certain you are going to get over 1/8 of an inch of snow and get milk, eggs, fruit, veggies, and any ingredients you'll need to make yummy food and treats, cold weather supplies, etc. before they sell out... by noon the day before it's supposed to start snowing!

Cook comfort food: Chili! It's never the same every time, but it always contains ground beef (or turkey), red or pink or both kidney beans, canned diced tomatos, a little tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and most of the time a little crushed or ground red pepper. [This is what I cooked for our first (little) snow a couple weeks ago]

Corn Bread
Served with: sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, diced onions, and lots of butter for the corn bread!
Pumpkin Pie (w/ homemade crust): made the next day because I was too tired that night=) Our cute little BooBoo was a little handful that night and tuckered us out=)
Get bundled up [from this morning]
ETA: And when the little ones are in bed make homemade hot chocolate with Peppermint Schnapps! =)We were supposed to have a really fun last day of Hanukkah party today but we had to cancel it due to the feet of snow. We had almost 30 people coming! We're hoping to reschedule the partay for the end of January. So that means we will be eating tons of sugar cookies topped with buttercream frosting. I will definitely be sharing the recipe! I hadn't baked all the cakes yet, just in case! Good thing! I'll do a what you missed at the party post soon=). But I cut it down and just made one batch of Spinach and Artichoke Dip, love love. So yummy. I'll share that one too.

I hope you're having a great weekend so far! What's the weather like where you live??

14 comments:

Rachel said...

SO SO fun!!! I am just a little jealous of y'all! Enjoy it today...and save a cookie for me :)

Renee said...

I was surprised at just how crowded the grocery store was at 9AM on Friday! I also bought some stuff to make comfort foods.

I would love to hear more about your holiday traditions!

AO said...

Yea...this a.m. I was staring out at our (unplowed) cul-de-sac wondering how we were going to make the 4 min. drive to your place this afternoon! Shoot, and the Swede and I were REALLY looking forward to some latkes. :-) Guess the fun must wait. Right now we're hunkered down baking a chicken pot pie that I made and froze before baby came...and have been inhaling lots of carbs, hot drinks, etc. otherwise!

There is NOTHING on TV...OK...there's college basketball...but I'm like, "Sweet Hollywood starlets, can't we get a good movie on a Saturday afternoon?" I mean, I'm "assigned" to the couch anyway. :)

At least our hubs got the tots out for some northern exposure!!

Gooch Family said...

WOW! You got hammered with snow!! All the food sounds soo delicious, too bad everyone has to miss out. Oh and btw Meg had her baby yesterday. She was scheduled for a csection on the 29th but her little bean decided she wanted to come early. She still had a csection and they are all doing great!

Sherrie said...

Sounds like the perfect snow day! I am waiting to get some more snow here and it seems to keep missing us.

Brittany Ann said...

Look how beautiful! How fun! (and you're right! Chilli is perfect for that weather.)

jlc said...

Hahhaa!! You are WONDER WOMAN to have around when it's snowed in!! We're expecting to get all that tonight!! Ahhhh now if I could only whip up your recipes! :)

Jules said...

We’re dealing with the same mess in my neck of the woods too. It just won’t stop. We must have over a foot by now. We got as much done as we could yesterday so that we wouldn’t be without today. Geof is in the kitchen making dinner as I type this. The chili and cornbread that you made looks absolutely delicious.

I love the photo of your hubby and Baby Boy in front of the fireplace…adorable!

Sorry you had to cancel the party, but at least that will give you something to look forward to in January! The sugar cookies sound yummy.

Heather said...

I am loving all that snow!!! SO SO FUN!!!! And look at all that food!! Yummy!! you guys enjoy that snow!!

Michelle said...

LOL! So true about going to the grocery store if there is a snow storm heading towards VA. 1/8" shuts things down around here! ha ha ha...so silly, but so true!

We got a ton of rain. My yard is a soggy mess. But, by nightfall, everything froze (eek) and we did manage to get a light, very light, dusting.

Sounds like you guys were well-prepared for lots of food & fun! Enjoy it!

My parents are heading back to the 'Burg this afternoon, I think. Hopefully, the roads will be nice & clear.

Annie said...

how fun!!
the chili looks delicious!! now, i want to make some! sounds so yummy!!
i hope ya'll are having fun playing in the snow!!

Shannon said...

Definitely share those recipes - I love spinach and artichoke dip!

Lindsey said...

This post just made me super hungry!!

Tara Gibson said...

yummmm! and SNOW I want snow! : )


Twitter   Pinterest   RSS

Newest Edition

 photo IMG_7802_zps455365ec.jpg

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved