Monday, November 23, 2009

Tradition

Awww tradition. TRADITIOOOON, Tradition! haha. Fiddler on The Roof? Here's the song, you don't have to watch the whole thing of course but you can get a taste=) They joke around about having a tradition for everything.=)

I love traditions. They're a great way to join together as a fam or group of friends or whatever you are a part of. They create beautiful, fun, and joyful memories for a lifetime. When you get together with certain friends, or cousins, or family members, don't you love reminiscing about traditions you used to do or still do together? Like games you made up as children, or what you do each New Year's, or or or? =)




Hubby and I are so excited about starting traditions for our family. We've already established some daily traditions... praying together before we go to sleep, and with our little ones too, before each meal, eating together at the table for dinner (I used to sneak in eating on the couch but now that BabyBoy is older that's not so easy=)), hopefully a little family getaway each year, if Hubby is away on business we talk on the phone as much as possible to fill each other in on all our happenings and definitely talk, pray, and say goodnight before we go to bed... and now we want to start holiday traditions too!

Little NCF get to know you history: I just started celebrating Christmas when Hubby and I started dating in 1999. I was raised Jewish with the belief that Jesus is the Messiah, so we incorporated Jesus into all of the Jewish holidays. We celebrated pretty much the same Christian holidays but maybe at different times... so Jesus' birth was during Sukkot in the fall (similar to Christmas), his ressurection during Passover (similar to Easter)... and so on=) So we get to experience both together. We LOVE all of the traditions and symbolism in the Jewish holidays.

Ok back to TRADITIOOOONs - Christmas Edition. So we don't really have any really "special" ornaments. I'm thinking about starting an ornament tradition. Maybe each year we will get an ornament for each little one symbolizing what they are loving that year. Then as we look at them each year and over the years, we'll remember all of the different things they were "into." I was thinking about getting crafffffty. BabyBoy's would be something music related and Next Edition a sweet little baby something... still thinking friends still thinking=).

We're still talking about other traditions we want to implement too. Do you have any Christmas or ornament traditions? Do you do a color specific tree? Real or fake?

17 comments:

Rachel said...

My mom's mom has given me an ornament for every year of my life. I love having them all, and each one is special because it represents the year it came from. I think my favorite is the braces ornament from my middle school years!

Meagan said...

That is a cute idea!!!!!!! I love tradition as well! That is so awesome! =)

<3

AO said...

Our family has a few:

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (OK, this is best saved until after the little ones' bedtime, prolly. :-p) I can't help but laugh my booty off because my own extended family is so reminiscent of Cousin Eddie.

Reading "The Gift of the Magi". So touching! I weep for the cut hair! ;) We read ours from the Norman Rockwell Christmas Treasury, which has a lot of other great stories, some songs (with sheet music!), recipes, and gorgeous illustrations.

My inlaws give us the White House Christmas ornament every year. Some years they're gorgeous, some years a little cheesy, but they look nice spread out around the tree now that we have a good number of them.

One gift on Christmas Eve (the rest Christmas Day) - when we were kids, usually the Christmas Eve gift involved some sort of new winter jammies or an outfit to wear to the Christmas Eve church service.

Rachel H. said...

I don't have any now, but I hope to have some one day. When we were growing up, my mom would take us and let us pick out an ornament of our own for the tree, and we would add it to our tree and use all of them every year. When we were too young to pick them out, my mom picked them for us. It was fun to go out shopping for ornaments together!

Lauren said...

We always buy a new ornament when we travel & I normally find at least one super cute ornament each year that I add to our collection. I'm sure I'll develop a few more traditions once we have kiddos running around.

Gwen said...

I think the Christmas ornament tradition is wonderful. We always received a new ornament in our chosen collection on Thanksgiving from our Grandma & Grandpa. My Grandpa worked for Hallmark Cards and they would buy each of us 13 grandkids an ornanment. Mine were the Mary's Angels, my brother always got Frosty Friends and my sister got these little hearts that opened up to see a scene. My Dad still hangs them on his tree every year. Now he's started that tradition with his grand-daughters and I can't wait to see how much they enjoy it because we always did.

As far as our tree we do a green tree with white lights. I love the colored lights but they give me a headache after a while. LOL!!!

You know what would be a fun tradition for you with the boys would be to paint your own ornaments. :)

XOXO

Lindsey said...

Such a cute idea! Love it!

Brittany Ann said...

I love your ideas! I think traditions are so important!

Jennifer said...

As soon as I saw your title I actually thought of the song from Fiddler on the Roof - how fun that you posted it! (o: I love when he dances around in the barn beating his chest.

My hubby and I have been talking about what traditions to start as well especially now that we have a baby - we're still trying to figure that out.

I LOVE ornaments. I favor green, red and gold because it's traditional I suppose. But I also love cute trinket types of ornaments - I have ALL kinds.

By the way, I work for a Messianic ministry - we observe Jewish holidays as well in addition to Christian holidays. I have really enjoyed and benefited spiritually from learning the Jewish roots of my faith. (o:

Newlywed Next Door said...

This is such a cute post! You already know my Village Tradition and I think that's a great one!

Jorden and Kristin said...

haha i love that you have fiddler on the roof on here :) made my night!

we always get a new ornamate each christmas or if we travel someplace new we get one. i love that tradition! :)

Jorden and Kristin said...

haha i love that you have fiddler on the roof on here :) made my night!

we always get a new ornamate each christmas or if we travel someplace new we get one. i love that tradition! :)

Molly said...

I am a sucker for tradition. My grandmother started collecting Wallace Silver bells when they first started making them in the 70's. She has given my mom one every year since she got married, and now my mom does the same for us girls. They have a different design every year and are just gorgeous. We all display them differently and send pics to each other. It is so fun!

Tara Gibson said...

i LOVE traditions and love the ornament idea!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

We always read the Night Before Christmas and the Christmas story from the Bible every Christmas Eve. Then Christmas morning we sang Happy Birthday to Jesus before we could open gifts. I love those and can't wait to do the same with my little family!

Krystyn said...

We certainly don't have any tree or ornament traditions. We don't have a good place to put our tree that the kiddos can't get into.

PS What an interesting NCF history.

The Shabby Princess said...

We don't really have any ornament traditions, but, my parents had an awesome one: they would buy an ornament from anywhere they went on vacation, or a quick trip, etc. They have them from New Orleans, the Grand Tetons, Germany, London, etc. Those were always really special to me (my parents divorced when I was young).

Also, my maiden name was Frost, so, we collect snowmen and little snowpeople--anything with snow or frost is game in our house.

I am starting to collect Precious Moments ornaments because my mom used to tell me I looked like a Precious Moments doll when I was a baby.


Twitter   Pinterest   RSS

Newest Edition

 photo IMG_7802_zps455365ec.jpg

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved