Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I'm Torn!

About... Faceb0ok. Yes, friends, I am one of the few you might see walking the malls or driving by in our baby toting rockin' Pilot, that hadn't succumed to joining in to the addictive world of FB. I actually steer clear of some things because everybody is doing it. Which is funny because I am an overlysensitive people pleaser, but liking something just because everyone else thinks it's cool just annoys me. =) But I admit I do want a pair of Uggs or something similar now. They do look really comfy and you girls who have them look cute. =) And I love almost anything soft 'n comfy. Hold out a soft 'n comfy armadillo and I might buy it (if it's on sale, hahaha).

Anyhoo, I've been telling the Hubs for forever, ok just the past few months, that I was really thinking I wanted to join. I didn't want to join to attempt to have a billion friends (because internally I was afraid I wouldn't have any "friends"), I didn't want to join so people would think I was cool (I don't think that would turn things around for me now anyway =)), I didn't want to join to post dance audition videos and become a famous back up dancer for Justin Timberlake, Brittany, or any dancing pop star with a rockin' beat and needs back up dancers...

I wanted to join to keep in touch with friends who have moved (and don't have blogs, hmph), reconnect with old friends who might be on, and have another way to keep in touch with my family (who are all on, well except for my Mom, but she does have a cellphone now =) love you!).

BUT mostly Hubby (but I completely agree, love, and support him) has concerns. Several of them. He's big on security. Big. Remember Hubs and Jack Bauer. And he does an amazing job of making me and our fam feel secure. Love that. ... ... Sorry just thinking about how great he is. I'm back.

So I joined "real quick" to just see if some old friends or current friends might be on (does that sound creepy?) and then I might just cancel.

So I'm torn! I'd love to keep up with friends and family but I also don't want my info spread everywhere or have our little ones exposed online any more for fear of potentially irrational but completely rational thoughts... I said completely! (don't laugh at any of them)

[1] anyone can find you, or if you pop up on someone's radar and they hadn't thought about you for a while, then they might start searching for you in real life too (like crazy old tenants or Hubby joked about all the guys who liked (ha) me would want to follow me and try to chat me up. hahaha. ha. oh Hubby was pretty much the only one! we wouldn't have to worry about that. Not that he's really worrying, just joking =).)
[2] i mean the military might be banned for fear of hackers getting too much info. ok, so we're not a matter of nati0nal sec urity but family security, not such a large scale but still important, right. =)
[3] afraid that people might give away info on my site or to all of their friends' that we don't want given, like names, address, etc. (I know most people wouldn't do this, but if I say yes to friend someone who we were friends with back when and they turn out to be weird now, stop it, we're serious.) I know this could happen in blogland but it just seems different. and I love you but if I've never met you in real life, than you could be some incredible story telling gross man with a cute cover story. ha. You know I love you.
[4] can people take a pic from your site and post it or tag it or something it and send it everywhere? or post it on their site? what if someone does that with a pic of the little ones and tries to sell them or say they are theirs? They are cute. I'm just sayin'. =)

Thoughts? You can refute any concern for us. Please do, because I think it would be really fun =) [Just mostly concerned for the leeettle ones.] Thanks friends.

and people have been trying to... be my friend? add me? follow me? friend me? ha. already too! and i haven't befriended anyone yet!

23 comments:

Shannon said...

Actually, you can make your FB unsearchable to where people cant find you.

And you can make your pictures to where people can't steal them...unless they use the good ole Print Screen...but you can do that here in bloggy land too.

:)

AO said...

I'm not as concerned about privacy re: people I know, but Facebook and the government knowing waaaaaaay too much about me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B37wW9CGWyY

That video spells out the fine print of what you permit Facebook to do with your personal info when you make and upload info to an account.

Lauren said...

I've had facebook for several years...it was just getting on it's feet when I was in college so of course I jumped on the bandwagon. I use to to connect with people but I've actually stopped adding pictures since I started blogging. I rarely update my profile and even that is very limited. You can set all sorts of privacy settings which is definitely of some comfort. Good luck with your decision, it is nice to be able to connect with long lost friends!

Rebecca Jo said...

I think Facebook is probably the best on security things - not showing things you want.. but yes, you do have to watch out about people "tagging" you in pictures because that links back to you alot...

but honestly, I just LOVE Facebook! Its such a great way to stay up with family & friends... & you can honestly just accept friends from who you KNOW... everything else is hidden from everyone else!

Aly said...

You can hide things from people! It's great, just go to the settings page. Then you can keep in contact with people you want to, without being "found out" by people you don't!

Melissa G. said...

Nobody can add you as a friend until you approve it. When you add pictures you can pick the settings of only friends seeing it or everybody. I like it because like you said not every one has blogs and FB is an easy way to keep in touch. You can sent them little notes with out having to sit down and write out a long email. If in the end you don't like it you can always delete your account.

Rachel H. said...

It's a tough call, but you can put as much or as little information out there as you want! And like everyone else said you can change your privacy settings and make yourself unsearchable.

The Pink Chick said...

I love FB! It has put me back in touch with so many friends. If you are worried about security, you can set your security pretty high-only your friends can see your profile and you can be unsearchable. Also, you don't have to put up a lot of info. Many of my friends don't include pictures of their kids, and I definitely don't put any phone number or address info on mine. Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions!

Kristy said...

I fb. Probably wayyyyy too much! =)

Jen Clark said...

You get notices if you are tagged in other people's photos so you can un-tag yourself. You can also make your photos only visible to your friends. I have a friend that doesn't use her maiden name and uses a picture of something from nature for her profile picture so people can't see what she looks like unless they are actually accepted as her friend. I think you should do it, it's a great way to keep up with people!

MOMSWEB said...

All the above suggestions are helpful. I enjoy FB because I'm not a phone person, so it's an easy way for me to stay connected to old associates - if I want to. It also brings readers to my blog posts because it can be shared on FB. It's great if you have a business also.
You know what? Big Brother is watching anyway, so we THINK we have privacy, but they already know everything anyway...whomever THEY is (lol).
Do what is best for your family.

Jenny.Lee said...

I haven't had any issues with privacy on FB. The privacy preferences are easy to set-up. Plus you decide how much info to add to your page. :)

Random Musings Of My Life said...

Facebook has really FABULOUS security settings, people can not see your page unless they are friends, I have used facebook to reconnect with people I have not seen in 15 years! Its been great, even my mom and dad are on it too and its a great way to stay in touch...

Lis said...

Oh hun you have to do it - they have great security - you will love it! You can make almost everything private if you want!! :) We will discuss in person Friday!! I want to be your FB friend!! :)

Meagan said...

I know, I have thought about all of those things...but I went ahead and took the plunge anyways =)) Good luck with your decisions!!

amywelborn said...

I HEART FB! and you can make it as private as you want. I am probably wAY to into it. I have found it to be adictive, but I love checking it and seeing what everyone is up to throughout the day!

Lindsey said...

I've debated this too, but in the end I kept it so I can keep in touch with Garth's family (in South Africa and France) and to see old friends. I just limit what I put on their - I keep it broad!=)

short southern momma said...

hi! I was fairly late in the game jumping on the FB wagon. It was fun for a while and I do get to catch up with family and friends, but I must get bored easy or something cause it just isn't as good as it used to be. I agree with the comments above...you can make it pretty dang secure! If you did not want to post pictures for everyone you can attach them to an email through FB too. Hope your having a great day! = )

Shayla said...

As long as you upload a picture onto the internet there IS a way to steal it. It doesnt even matter if you "block" or turn the right click off...it's still possible.

I had a facebook (I'm 20 so I started it when I was 18) It was fun for a while, catching up with friends that went to different colleges and seeing SO MANY of my friends put up their wedding photos and baby photos

BUT I did not like that I couldn't monitor what was said on my site (no commend moderation). When you have lots of friends you get tons of status updates of what THEY are doing on YOUR home page ( I really didnt care to read about who partied with who the night before) and people share WAY TOO MUCH information. I knew people who would post information about their OBGYN visits while they were pregnant. I got to the point where I just got sick of it, and then everyone got upset with me for not using it enough so i just deleted mine.

My boyfriend deleted his after bootcamp. He realized that if all of those people were truly his friends that he needed to keep communication with in the first place, they would have made a way to stay in contact without facebook.

I would have to agree with the hubs on this one, it ain't worth it!

:)

Gwen said...

I'm on Facebook but I don't get very into it. I just send messages back and forth so I can't help you too much. If you do get on you have to find me though. :) XOXO

Kristin said...

Hold out as long as you can. Ah ha ha. Actually, I was most addicted at first, but it tapered off. : )

Bringing Up Boys said...

I think it's funny that you have a twitter account and yet you are concerned about Facebook... not to make light of your concerns of course it's just that folks usually do it the other way around :).

My number one reason for getting on FB was to find old fiends I'd lost touch with... and reconnecting with them was totally worth the joining in the first place.

You can set your facebook account so that only people who you accept as friends can see what you post on FB - I believe you can do the same with pictures.

If you join, I'll totally recommend all our old Teammates friends for you and then word'll get out and before you know it you'll have a bunch of fb freinds.

My one rule (and it isn't everyone's rule) is that I have never accepted anyone I didn't actually know in the "real world" at some time in my life and was friends with on some level.

And be forewarned that it can get pretty addicting... you might find yourself ignoring the kids for an afternoon while you look for your best friend from 6th grade that you lost touch with ;).

Love you!

Lindsay said...

From a major FB fan, there are ways to protect yourself. As people already said - you can make yourself UNsearchable...and you can do what I do - make a "limited" list in which they have limited access to pics and videos. It works famously!

It's been a positive experience for me thus far - and really - there are far more weirdos out there in blog-land! At least in FB you can control who your audience is.


Twitter   Pinterest   RSS

Newest Edition

 photo IMG_7802_zps455365ec.jpg

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved