Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Birth!

8:15 am or so we were having homemade blueberry scones and tea for breakfast when I said, "I think that's another contraction "B"! When the next one starts can you see what time it is=)?" A few contractions later, we found they were about 5 minutes apart, and the most contractions I'd had in a row yet! We went for a walk and I just kept saying, "come on contractions, come on 'Next Edition'=)!"

After being home for a bit, cleaning up a little, and trying to finish some thank you cards, they kept coming. Each one commanding a little more attention and getting a little closer together. I still had no idea what to expect or what was "the real deal" because we had an emergency induction with BabyBoy. So I had said, well when I "think" the contractions seem real then I'll take my shower and get ready.

It happened somewhere around 10:30-11 am. By that point, I was calling Hubby for every contraction, to please help me, ha, get down on my knees or squeeze Hubby's hand or anything to try to get through them.

I finished drying my hair and was about to start straightening it, when I said, I think we need to go now. Bring the straightener!

I still had no idea "how far along I was" but they were pretty intense and I had to brace myself for every single one. So Hubby loaded up the car with the the bags and BabyBoy =).

Around 12:30pm we started "the drive." It was 45 min - 1 hr to get to the hospital where we were going to deliver, without traffic. ha. Anyone who knows NOVA, can now laugh. And I was told by several friends that it is not fun to labor in the car. Everything bump is heightened, every curve feels like 100 mph, and you're imprisoned in a car seat.

We were reminded about a pressure point in the middle of your hand that is supposed to help relieve the pain. Whether it's actually true or not, it helped, and I got in a groove! Every contraction, I stuck my hand out for Hubby to squeeze the pressure point and I started making my "noise." I didn't do it at all with BabyBoy, but it's what came out and helped me through each contraction. I just opened my mouth and made a low ahhh.

At this point, Hubby started timing them. They were lasting about 45-70 seconds and then I would say it's lightening up, so total they were somewhere around a minute and a half to two minutes and were about 2 minutes apart. But I felt in control and on top of them even though they were painful. I was in a groove. (thank you God=))

Now we were trying to decide whether to drop BabyBoy at our friends' house as planned or if we should just go straight to the hospital and do the swap there (we had discussed this possibility too=)). We decided that it would be easier and should just go ahead and drop him off.

Just after 2 pm and just over an hour and half later of driving, we got to the hospital, and Hubby dropped me off. Our doula was inside, so I filled her in and went through a couple contractions while Hubby was parking. Right when he got there we headed straight up to labor and delivery. I had to stop all along the way to (sit on the exercise ball) and get through a contraction.

Hubby had to go back down to the 2nd floor to register me (we had already pre-registered) before the nurses could do anything. So he got me through one more contraction and ran downstairs.

I have to say that I was so worried that we were going to get to the hospital and I was still only going to be 3 or so cm dialated (same as from my previous dr. appt.) because you (I) just have no idea at all how far along you are. =)

Two contractions later I hear one of the nurses say to another, I got it, she's registered! So they got me in the bed, strapped me up, and the nurse "checked me."

I was 8 cm dialated and 100% effaced! What?! Are you serious?! I was sooo excited!! Woohoo! [Part of my excitement had nothing to do with the fact that I can be competitive. haha.] I had labored to 8 cm at home and for an hour and a half in the car! I couldn't believe it!

Hubby made it back up while nurses were asking family history questions, trying to take my blood pressure, my blood, and stick me with an (heplock) IV for fluids. Every couple minutes I had to say I'm getting a contraction, i.e. please don't try to take my blood right now! =)

The doctor came in to check me and I was a 9! The nurse kept furiously asking me questions, 2 more stuck me, and another took my blood pressure all in between contractions. At one point they quickly flipped me to my side because the baby's heart rate dropped. Praise God it was only that one. I was reminded to breath more during and in between contractions=)

Still no meds!

The whole time I was turned on my side, gripping the bed at times, Hubby squeezing the middle of my hand, and doing my low ahh, which apparently sounded more and more intense as time went on, Hubby and my Mom (she was in the delivery room=)) reported. Then I said, I think my water just broke! They said, I don't know, and I said, ummm I'm pretty sure!

Our dr came back in and I was a ten! They told me to roll to my back (I was going to try to push from my side but they wanted me on my back for now).

I looked at Hubby and said, "I don't know if I can do this without meds, it's going to hurt." haha! He said of course you can!

At this point, our doctor said, oh no, she has those steel ligaments pulling down blocking her pelvic bone again! She looked at our doula and said what did we do last time???! Tell me what to do. She said those ligaments just came down like steel doors! "Push here," said doula to doc. And they said to me, "Relax, be like a stick of butter, be like a stick of butter." ha. "I feel them loosening!!" our dr. said very excitedly.

Pushing time! I pushed for 5-6 minutes, I mean some good pushes, like we practiced (it really made a difference!), (I'll spare a few more dets, if you want just e-mail me=)) and he was born! At 3:05 pm! I didn't even need to be stitched this time!!

I could not believe it! I was ecstatic that I was able to do it without meds. In the back of my mind I wasn't sure if I would be able to do it. I felt so good. Next Edition was incredibly alert. It was amazing. I was able to slip on my slippers (well Hubby did it for me=)) and get up right afterward (mainly to go to the bathroom and I couldn't be up for long at all without being light headed - normal from loss of blood). It was so exciting!

God had it all planned out; that we would have the baby that day, the first day that dr, who delivered BabyBoy, worked with our doula the first time, knew my body, and was back on call in the hospital since being off for weeks. If you're trying to get something to happen in your timing (like we were), or wanting something to happen at a certain time (like we were=)), God has it under control. He has a plan, He has a perfect reason, and the perfect time! We just might not understand until after it happens.

32 comments:

yours truly... said...

AHHHH!! Girl you are AMAZING!! what an awesome story!!

Brittany Ann said...

Yay! You are so strong! What a testimony this little boy's birth was for God's timing!

Lauren said...

What an awesome story!!! Thanks for sharing!

Justin and Jenn said...

Wow- I loved that story! I'm so impressed!

The Pink Chick said...

This is an amazing story! I know I am going to have a lot of questions for you when I am expecting!!!

Shannon said...

Amazing story! Thank you so much for sharing!!!! I would've freaked out if I'd waited that long before going to the hospital!!!

Rachel said...

You should be so proud of yourself!! We need more pictures of the boys!!!!!!

THE Stephanie said...

WOW!! That's amazing! What a great story. :)

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

Wow! What a wonderful birth story. You really had me worried that you weren't going to make it to the hospital! I am glad that everything went so perfectly!

Kristy said...

Amazing! Way to go!
I had 2 c-sections, so natural childbirth scares the heck out of me!!

Rachel said...

Wow! Amazing story! Sounds like it all went smoothly...or at least as smooth as a delivery can go!

Miss Anne said...

I am in awe of how amazing birth is.

I am in awe of your strength.

He is so perfect.

You guys are so blessed.

You are an inspiration.

Sending love and blessings your way.

P.s. the names are beautiful!

xo

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

wow, with no meds at all. crazy. congrats girl!

Lis said...

What an amazing story!!! I am so excited for you! It really reminds us all that God is in control - and we just need to trust in Him.

Thank you so, so much for sharing this - I loved reading it!! xoxo

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

Got tears in my eyes. So happy that it went so well. You are a rock star, mama! And God is so good to give you the same doc who REMEMBERED that A. knows what she's talking about. That is just AWESOME. Hooray!!!! And doesn't it feel good afterward?? I felt like I could run a marathon, and you and I both know I don't run ANYWHERE.

Jillian said...

amazing!!!

Rebecca Jo said...

That sounds like a perfect delivery!! SO excited for you that you made it to the hospital on time!!! And you did it with no drugs... you are THE WOMAN!!!!

Heather said...

WOW!! What a story, I am totally impressed, your my hero! :)

Meagan said...

That is so awesome!!! I need your fairy dust or something!!!!

God is good!!!

Molly said...

You did amazing! That is exactly how my birth went in my mind. :)
Congrats!

Gooch Family said...

You are awesome!! I hope my labor goes that fast, although it would be scary to know you can't get any meds, yikes! So glad to hear everything went well, I couldn't wait to see the story. I can't believe though it takes so long to get to your hospital! Glad you made it - how exciting that when you got there you were to an EIGHT! How exciting!

The Farmer Files said...

Hooray! Not sure I could do it, but it is inspiring to read your story!

Anonymous said...

I had 2 C-sections/ 37 and 30 years ago.
My babies where to big for this only 5f in girl
at 8pounds 8ounces and at 8pounds 12 ounces.
Pamela in NE Ohio

Saskia said...

Wow, thank you for sharing the story!! What an incredible experience!! I'm so pleased for you that everything went so well & worked out perfectly :)

I hope you -all 4 of you- are well & happy!

Saskia xx

Jon and Steph said...

You are a trooper sweet friend! What a great story. I am so glad to hear everything went well and that the new addition is perfectly healthy! Also I am so glad to hear that you're doing well. I can't believe you were up on your feet right after it happened. Way impressed and proud of you!!

I can't wait to see pictures of the new baby boy!

Lucky in Love said...

What a wonderful story honey!! You did it with no meds! You rock my world...

So glad to hear everyone is doing well!! Love!

Lindsey said...

No med?! You are my hero!!

Rachel H. said...

Wow!! Amazing and such an awesome birth story! I hope mine is just as good.

Jules said...

I love that you shared this story and it was amazing to read. You are so strong and I give you a ton of credit!

God is definitely in control. Bless you and your family!

pocket full of pink said...

I have chills from this!!!! I really really want to e-mail you to get the other details for that part of your story with pushing, ha! You are my hero! I have told my mom and my sisters AND my husband for so long now that I want to give birth without meds. My oldest sister did it and it was such an incredible thing to witness. But I am so scared! Your story is so encouraging! When we get pregnant (I say that and pray every day that God blesses us and allows me to get pregnant) I will be e-mailing you FOR SURE!!! Amazing! Please know what an encouragement you are!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

girl I am just in awe of you!!

Mel said...

Love the story! You go, girl! You go God! :)


Twitter   Pinterest   RSS

Newest Edition

 photo IMG_7802_zps455365ec.jpg

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved