Today is the last day to enter the GIVEAWAY!!! For a $25 G ift C ard!!! All you have to do is make a fun guess and you could win=)
Back to BabyBoy's Birth Story (thank you for asking for it!)=) Here is Part 1 and Part 2 of the preface to delivery if you want to catch up =) ...
The doctor finally came into the room. We looked at each other. We looked at him. We grasped each others' hands and we waited for every word that was about to come out of his mouth. We could tell something was wrong.
They saw a "double bubble." Two little bubbles instead of just one where the stomach was supposed to be. Our sweet little bean had duodenal atresia... a blockage in his intestine. Trying to hold back a flood of tears, we kept listening.
This meant that he wasn't processing the amniotic fluid correctly which in turn made the fluid build up causing me to have polyhydramnios (too much fluid).
Immediate bedrest. And two steroid injections by 34 weeks to make sure our sweet little guy's lungs fully develop just in case he came really early.
We also found out that there was a 30-50% chance that little bean could have Downs Syndrome (DS) or other complications. And he would have to have surgery after he was born.
Cue us beginning to research everything online. Which really most of the time is a mistake. =)
We had 2-3 doctors appointments, including a sonogram, and non-stress tests, every single week with the perinatalogists, and our doctors. [some appts were quite stressful or created worry, like sending us to the hospital during an appt, and others were ok, just e-mail me if you want more info=)]
They continued to check for soft signs of downs syndrome or any other congenital issues. They insisted on doing an amnio and we kept insisting against it. God was in control. We trusted Him, no matter what the outcome. We had trusted Him from the beginning but I cannot tell you how much our trust and our faith grew through this extremely intense ordeal. There came a point where we had stop worrying, stop researching any and every statistic, problem, complication, that was associated with duodenal atresia. We had to stop and we had to fully trust. Like we had never trusted before. God was in control. Always has been and always will be. Total cliche but true, He will never... never... give you more than you can handle, and you have to trust that He has everything under control (I mean He did create the universe and everything in it right? I think He's got it, and He cares so deeply for us=)). Even if it's not what we want. He has a purpose.
The talk now was automatic c-section. No questions asked. This would be a medical delivery. There was too much fluid for him to be fully engaged and with this much extra fluid, there could be all sorts of complications if my water were to break on it's own.
By 36 weeks I was 2-3 centimeters dialated and 50% effaced. We had an appt on Tues and Thurs of that week. I had progressed from a 2 to almost 3 cm and from about 30 to 50% effaced and it seemed as though he was engaged [although there was still concern my water were to break on it's own].
Friday morning, I'm laying on the couch=) [I think I was working that morning=)], get a phone call, answer it, it was one of our docs. She's never called us before! First she told us that she and the perinatologist reviewed a couple of our sono pics and they did in fact see a strong nose bone [they had told us they saw a soft nose bone which is an indicator of DS]. Oh that was incredible to hear. But we still wouldn't know anything for certain until he was born.
And then she said... emergency induction tomorrow morning at 8am!! ...