Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Huge Step Of Faith

I can't believe I had this conversation this morning!

You all know we just moved to a new state a few months ago. We've been in and out of town several times already so it's been a little difficult to plug in! And we soo want to plug in! :) I mean Mr. Caffeinated is playing flag football and I just went to my first Mommy's group and had a great time. We are sooo excited about getting more involved!

Most of you know that I was a high school Orchestra Director/Conductor. I had three orchestras and taught music theory too :) I LOVED it! I loved teaching that age group (for the most part, haaa!), I loved conducting, I LOVED being surrounded by music as I stood on the podium, I loved figuring out what the composer's intent for their piece of music was to teach my kids, I loved making crazy cookey analogies of how we needed to play the piece or a section of music (sweet, angry, upset, like you found your love, or your puppy just got run over [I know it's terrible, but they got the point!! ;)], like you are arguing about what flavor of ice cream you want, or you are crying, or forgiving, like you're grunting, or blowing the little whispies off a dandelion, or the sun is rising, etc.), I loved how excited I could get them to study a new piece of music (and some not so much :)), to explore 20th century composers, etc etc etc.

Ok, there were some things I didn't like, like administrative stuff and overly cocky high schoolers, but I'll focus on the positive :)

So, the new church we've been going to has really fun and great worship, hymns and new songs. It's pretty much a band with 5 or so singers each week, great harmony, great singers, great worship leader, amazing voice, love the drums and the bass guitar. I kept thinking and saying to Hubby every week, I wonder if they've ever thought of having an orchestra every once in a while along with the same worship?!

I played with several church full orchestras back east and LOVED it (and conducted a couple times too :))! It is such an amazing thing to be able to do something you love and worship God at the same time (and get paid for one of them :))!

Today, God said, ok Caffeinated, you can ask him. They ended up having a worship song at the end of the service today which was perfect for me to talk to the Music Pastor. We stayed until they were done playing everybody out of the sanctuary and planned to meet our friends at the nursery.

So Hubby and I went up to the stage right when they were done, introduced ourselves, and I asked my question! Have you guys ever thought about having an orchestra play with you? I could not believe his response! He was so excited and has been wanting one!!! He has led other churches with 30 piece full orchestras and would love to have a strings section or full orchestra to play with them! I told him my background and he also has a Bachelor of Music! He was a percussionist for some of the symphonies and everything! I told him I played with a string quartet too for events, weddings, etc, and he said oh I have a lot of wedding contacts too that would need a quartet! Whoa!

I know it would be a lot of work but I told him I would be interested in organizing the orchestra if he wanted. We could start rehearsing a couple times a month or once a week. He almost sounded like he might want me to play a little with them before the full orch gets set up too! I am sooo nervous! It's a church of 12,000! I know it sounds big but you know once you get involved it feels so small.

So he took my name and number! And is going to e-mail me this week. I am still kind of shaking I am so excited about it. I couldn't believe how excited he was. He's been at this church for 3 years and has been so wanting this and all of a sudden we move here and God says go for it and here we are! It's a long shot at this point but maybe he would even want to hire me for a few hours a week as part of the music ministry!

I was so excited to get my violin out this past week and start practicing again. It has been too long and I really needed to start doing it...for me, Hubby loves it :), and for the baby too! Is there anything you haven't done for a while that you've been wanting to start doing again? Or something you haven't done before that you want to do? It feels really good! Maybe you should take a step of faith and give it a try too :)

33 comments:

Renee said...

Wow! That is wonderful. It sounds like you may be answer to prayer!

We used to go to a theater church with very contemporary music. Sometimes a high school orchestra director would play her electric violin with the praise band. Is that what it is, an electric violin? It was very cool

Danielle said...

That is great. Hopefully the answer to their prayers and get you back involved in something that you love. Good luck with it. Can't wait to see where it leads.

Rae said...

So amazingly wonderful!! I have led several adult and children's choirs and absolutely LOVE it! I was asked to fill in for a wonderful children's choir for three months (we're halfway through) and I am going to be soooo sad to give it up!!! Sniff, sniff....

Keep us posted and stop being nervous...this is most assuredly the Lord's will!

HisTreasuredPossession said...

exciting! What a great way to get involved and share your gift with the body. Let us know how it goes.

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Yay, I am so happy for you! I recently started running again which has been a life long compassion! I stopped when I got married and told the Mr. that I wanted his full support to start again! He has been wonderful and it gives me a great chance to talk to God while I run!

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

Good for you. Sounds exciting!

Nicole said...

That is so great! Good for you!! I'm sure you are so excited. I have always wanted to be one of the singers at our church. We go to a very big church too, so I'm not sure it'll ever happen! A girl can dream though :)

Rebecca Taylor said...

What wonderful encouragement!! How exciting!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

That is great!! See, it never hurts to ask! You must be super excited!!

Have a great week!

Lisa

SouthernAccent said...

That's so great! Awesome of you to take that step. What a great reward. Best of luck with it and can't wait to read all about it here!

Joelle said...

dina this is great! you will do fabulously!! how exciting!

Nancy said...

Oh, that is amazing! So awesome when God matches up willingness and ability with a desire or need!

Good for you for taking the risk. I'm sure that no matter what happens you will never regret asking.

Faith said...

That is so exciting!!! I love hearing how God is working and can't wait to see how He brings this all together!!

Megan said...

Yay! How exciting! I am married to a worship pastor and I know how much he loves it when members of the church come to him excited about ideas that have been stirring in their heart! I'm sure that is how your music minister felt! SO great!

Sweet Simplicity said...

How exciting! I hope everything works out!

Susie said...

Wow!! That sounds fantastic!! Good luck making that happening!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today and leaving such sweet comments. I hope you come back soon:-)

jori-o said...

Good for you! Both for asking and for Listening in the first place! ;)

Lori of I'm no super Mom said...

How amazing! God always seems to put you where you need to be and has bigger plans than we could EVER imagine!!!

ARK said...

That is AWESOME! So glad you took the leap of faith and asked! I can't wait to hear what happens next! Way to use your talents for the Lord:)

Weeksie50 said...

that is awesome..and isn't GOD amazing.. It is like GOD laid out the plan..and the guy was just waiting for you to play your part in the plan..how cool.. I love these little GOD moments in our lives..

My home - My life said...

WOW - sounds like an awesome opportunity and what a God thing - Congrats to you!

The Arthur Clan said...

I love hearing how you are willing to step out of your "safety zone" in order to serve Christ. I hope this turns into a wonderful ministry for you to serve in!

Rebecca Jo said...

That is fantastic news!!! I LOVE to hear an orchestra playing in worship....its just beautiful! Oh - you'll have to figure out a way to tape it or video it when you all get rolling! Good luck with all the work....I love when people take their talents & use it to praise God!!!

The Farmer Files said...

Wow...how amazing that God will be able to use you and your talents out there! When we get on the Big Rock maybe we can go to your church on an orchestra Sunday!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Congratulations, even just for asking, and taking the step. I hope it all works out for you. We go to a huge church too here in Orlando but you're right, it starts to feel small when there's such a connection. They also have such beautiful music and we're lucky to go there! Good luck!!!!!

Amanda-The Family News! said...

Hey! I tagged you for "sidebar tag" - go to my blog and see my sidebar!!!!! I will keep it up for a week!!!

LyndsAU said...

That is awesome! Amazing how God works and uses us!
I hope everything workd out wonderfully!

Lindsey said...

That is such an answer to prayer, I am so excited for you!

Rachel said...

How great is that! And I bet it would sound beautiful!

Tom said...

Oh, good for you! That is so fantastic that you took the initiative and are getting to do something that you love. I think it is so important for us to do that, and I think that God loves to bless us like that, too.
Carrie

Shannon said...

Yea!!! How exciting! I hope everything works out. That would be so fun.

Britni and Justin said...

That is wonderful! I am so happy for you and I know you must be excited! Keep us posted.

Tracy's Porch said...

Great post. Good job making the move to talk to him.


Twitter   Pinterest   RSS

Newest Edition

 photo IMG_7802_zps455365ec.jpg

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved