Friday, August 15, 2008

AccBLOGability Fridays!

Today is Friday! You know what that means! AccBLOGability Fridays! If you missed the intro just click here for AccBLOGability Buddies. You can join in anytime! Posts will be up early Fri mornings in following weeks!

There are three areas that we are going to help each other, each week, by staying accountable or encouraging through comments :) we'll need a lot of those in:

1. Reading God's Word,
2. Eating well, and
3. Exercising

You can pick one to work on or all three...or two! Whatever suits your fancy!

Here's how I did this week:

1. Reading God's Word - I did terrible. I admit it. I need help. The regular routine is back in our own house now that we've been back for about a week, but this isn't yet. I know, no excuses, it should have been part of the routine to start! I am trying to figure out when. I like the mornings, to start the day off the right way. Having God's comfort and reminder of his greatness in the mornings really replaces that wonderfully pick me up delicious scented hot and steamy warm in your hands warms your body caffeinated coffee that I haven't been drinking while I nurse or prepare for another little one :). Ok and if your not into coffee then it's a yummy go down easy coat the throat wafting delicious scented hot chocolate. So to get up earlier than the baby, whoa anything seems too early these days, or during first nap time, oh there's so much to get done, but this is the most important. I think I'll try earlier than the baby :) That means peel away from the Olympics and go to bed at a decent hour, ha!


2. Eating well - I have definitely improved this week! I have put down the Junior Mints, candy, any other sweets I can find really. I mean I have not been able to give up sweets completely nor do I think I could ever do that. I did have a headache last night, I normally don't get, I think it was withdrawal that I have limited myself to one dessert a day, so we had some ice cream (while watching the Olympics! I finished my gallon of ice cream well before Hubby, I don't know how that happened) and I felt much better! Almost instantly really, hee. I don't think we have eaten out once this week. Yes there was a frozen pizza and there might have been some dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets involved but as Hubby points out and I totally agree, cause I want to eat it, that it is at least better than eating out. Good logic, don't ya think?

I am not a nutritionist by any means so if anything I say is just completely nonsense just tell me I'm crazy...others have, ha.
  • Oatmeal=good! Just get the regular (not 1 minute) oatmeal, it really only takes 5 min :)
    Reduces your risk of heart disease and stroke. Obesity is one of the primary preventable risk factors for developing heart disease. A sustained weight loss of even 10 or 20 pounds can lower your risk of developing heart disease. Being at a healthy weight, coupled with an exercise program, can help prevent heart disease and stroke by strengthening your heart muscle, lowering your blood pressure, improving your blood flow, and increasing your heart's working capacity. It can also help raise your HDL (good) cholesterol levels and lower your LDL (bad) cholesterol levels.
    Helps to control non insulin-dependent diabetes. When your overall body fat is reduced, the symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes (non insulin-dependent) can be greatly reduced or eliminated. In many cases this means that patients can either reduce or no longer need to take medications to help control their diabetes.
    Lessens your chances of developing certain forms of cancer. Obesity has come into the spotlight in recent years as a risk factor for several types of cancer, according to the American Cancer Society., obesity greatly increases the risk of developing breast cancer in post-menopausal women and colon cancer in men. Obesity is also considered a risk factor for uterine, cervix, ovary, gallbladder and prostate cancers.
    Relieves stress on your back and joints. Carrying around even a few excess pounds will lead to extra stress on your back and joints, and may result in discomfort and sometimes debilitating pain. Reducing your weight and maintaining a physical fitness routine will not only lighten the burden on your body's joints, but it will also help strengthen your supporting muscles and tendons, as well.
    Increases your energy level. If you are only ten pounds overweight, you might not consider that to be a great deal of weight. But think of those extra pounds in terms of a 10-pound bag of potatoes strapped to your waist - it suddenly seems pretty heavy, doesn't it? Carrying around excess weight can make you feel sluggish and tired. It can also cause you to have sleep apnea - a condition that causes people's breathing passages to become blocked while sleeping and make you feel overly tired during the daytime.

  • Smoothies=healthy! It's one of those just throw some stuff in and blend it up and it actually tastes alright :) Frozen fruits/berries, easy and good for smoothies, a banana, some plain yogurt if you so choose, little ice, a dash but just a dash of milk if you like, and you can even throw some spinach in and not even taste it! Really really you won't taste it :)


  • Rotisserie Chicken=quick, versatile, and easy! You can get it from any grocery. This week I did: chicken over salad greens with balsamic vinegar and olive oil; chicken by itself with veggies (and could do brown rice), chicken sandwiches, on homemade whole wheat rolls, with a little cheese and spinach, and a little mayo, it's gotta have some flavor :).

  • MUFA=yummy stuff that's good for you! I got this from Rachel Ray's show, yes the evoo girl. "A MUFA is a mono unsaturated fatty acid," she (co-author of book) says, "and this is the healthful oil that's found in a number of plants. When you include that within the 400-calorie meal it helps regulate your blood sugar and insulin levels, so you're going to delay the return of your hunger."

    The Five Categories of MUFAs:
    (1) certain oils
    (2) nuts and seeds
    (3) avocados
    (4) olives and olive oil
    (5) dark or semi-sweet chocolate (yes!!! I knew it was good!)

    Eating at least one serving of any of these foods during the day, will assist in reducing the accumulation of dangerous belly fat. If you also control your calorie intake, you will then lose inches as well as pounds, around your waistline.


    We also made salmon with Montreal chicken seasoning, it's not just for chickens, topped with almond slices, over a small bed of spinach. Yummy! It was so pretty and I forgot to take a picture for you!

3. Exercise - I chased and carried around a 23 lb baby though it didn't feel like very much this week...I did some laps a couple times at my Aunt's pool. With my new found free-style stroke! I could always play in the water and swim & flip around, rides the waves, but I never had a real stroke. I just got it a few weeks ago, with the help of Hubby, my Aunt and Uncle, all awesome swimmers! I am so proud of myself and did not realize at all how much exercise swimming laps is! Whoa! My legs feel like gumby (remember gumby, who couldn't?) afterwards but I don't get sore, which I guess means I need to do more. Well I know I need to do more but I haven't yet. I like to blame it on the fact that I don't have a jogging stroller yet. Come on, let me have that one :)

How did you do? Any healthy foods or ideas to add to the list? Any suggestions on routines that are working for you? Keep it going girls! or guys if any are out there!

Happy Friday!!!

6 comments:

Lora Lynn said...

I kid you not, I pulled up your post off Reader as I was putting the last bite of Chocolate Chip pie in my mouth. (And holy cow, you have to try it, I will get you the recipe.) We're having meals brought to us and it's only polite to eat what they bring...

I've done okay on eating. Avoided too much sugar. Eaten lots of meat. Right now, that's what I can manage. Well, until the pie...

Exercise: um. Well. I do have a list of bedrest exercises I can do, but I have to clear them with my doctor on Tuesday. Until then, my exercise is lifting my head to drink from my straw. Burning calories, baby!

Bible time: hard to believe this is where I should be excelling and yet it's not happening. my Bible only just made it to my bedside yesterday, but I didn't crack it yet today. Goes to show that even when you're not chasing kids, it really takes discipline to make yourself do it. I was much better at it when the kids and I were on a normal schedule and they would sit there and do it with me. I am hoping that we will develop a bed rest routine here soon that allows me to be more disciplined. In the meantime, i should pull my head out of the computer and grab my Bible.

HisTreasuredPossession said...

Hey girls! Keep going strong. Get into the Word - everything else will fall into line after we fall in Love with Jesus! He is real and He wants time with us. Do go to bed earlier; remember your First love. He WILL honor every attempt to grow up in our faith. As moms, we have no greater need than to be filled up every day with the Spirit, to die to ourselves, to live in Christ's power. I heard recently, victorious days, weeks, months, and years, are made out of victorious moments. And that's what I want in every area of my life - V-I-C-T-O-R-Y! I want it for you to! I love you so much! Remember, we have all surpassing power in these jars of clay! (2 Cor. 4:7)

Heather said...

Healthy eating: Aside from those Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie treats I made yesterday and the Carmel frappuccino I just had, I'd say the eating healthy thing has gone fairly well this week! Everything in moderation right!

Bible time: I did horrible, but the good news is that I have no where to go but up! Also just got a book called the shack which my friend Lisa has been raving about - it is Christian fiction but is supposed to be AMAZING! I'm planning on cracking it open this weekend and will let y'all know how it goes.

Exercise: I'm heading to the gym tomorrow morning with Abe and the boys to lift weights and do some cardio. Do I get credit for that?

Amy (Metz) Walker said...

I am CRACKING UP at your friend's comment about the Chocolate Chip pie...too funny!

Also, your friend that is about to read The Shack...she needs to be warned to put all preconceived notions about God/Christ/Holy Spirit aside. Great book...but VERY different!

Now to the whole reason I started to comment in the first place...I'm very impressed at the time you put into this! I have a book by my bed by Beth Moore called Praying God's Word...and its full of Bible verses but categorized. I LOVE it and it makes reading my Bible so applicable. You might check it out!

ARK said...

So excited about this Dina, I have been so encouraged already by your posts and the others comments, I really need all the help I can get especially since I have flunked out of Weight watchers! ha

Exercise-I did great this week because we were at the beach on vacation so hubby was there to watch her while I swam and did water aerobics.(I think you would enjoy water aerobics Dina) I really regret that I quit teaching them!)
Eating-awful since we were on vacation and they have free cookies at the hotel in the afternoons. How could I turn down an oatmeal raisin cookie that I didn't have to make?
bible time- didn't do as well with prayer this week which is usually my strength so I have to do better this week. I am reading a book called The Power of a Positive Mom and it really stole my bible time because wow, it is really good. So I must put the book down and pick up the bible more this week:) This accblogability is just what I need! So nice to know others who struggle in these areas and it is not just me!

Megan said...

Well, I am about a week late. I did swim daily and I tried to do Encounter with God... not every morning but... about half the mornings. As for food, I think we do OK. I also have a sweet tooth so I have resorted to 70% dark chocolate bars from TJs. I just have about an inch piece and its perfect!

Dinner tonight was incredible! Next time you guys come here and we will grill and hang out at the pool!


Twitter   Pinterest   RSS

Newest Edition

 photo IMG_7802_zps455365ec.jpg

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved