Saturday, June 30, 2007

BabyBoy's First Week in the Hospital

June 23, 2007 - Saturday
BabyBoy is Here!

Date: June 23, 2007
Time: 7:48 pm
Weight: 6 lbs 5 oz
Length: 19.5 inches
Where: Fairfax Hospital
In goes the replogle tube in one nostril to start emptying the tummy.
We went down to the NICU to see our little man at 3:30 am. :)
Birth story to come soon - an absolute miracle!

June 24, 2007 - Sunday
Dr. Suiter came into out room at 7:15 am. He said it seemed to him that the surgery would be very straight forward, especially because BabyBoy's weight and all of his vitals were great. They would cut above and below the blocakge and sew the two together. He said BabyBoy would be prepped around 9:15/9:30 am and be in surgery from about 10 am-12 pm (we got pushed back a little bc he had to do another appendix surgery).

He came back in at 11:15 am with a smile and two thumbs up saying, "All good news!" He said the surgery went great and BabyBoy handled it very well. He said everything else in his little body looked wonderful, no problems at all.

We were able to go see him shortly after 12 pm. Little guy had tubes and IVs everywhere.
-The replogle tube down one nostril to his tummy.
-Another big tube down the other nostril going past the surgery sight (hoping to feed through it
sooner than later, if he can keep it in)
-The ventilator tube going in his mouth, down his throat.
-Artereal IV in right hand - to draw blood easily - wrapped with splint.
-IV in his left hand, also wrapped with splint.
-Central line going from the inside above his right knee going up to his heart - for his nutrition
(bc the IVs can only last a couple days)
-Monitor on his foot for oxygen level.
-Monitors on his chest for heart rate and for breathing (BPM).
-and a catheter
-Was on Fentanyl - pain medication.
CRAZY HUH? Poor little guy!
June 25, 2007 - Monday
Day nurse: Kristine. Evening nurse: .
First victory - the catheter got removed today. He was filling his diaper outside of the catheter, good boy. In evening when the nurse was repositioning his head, he clamped down and stopped breathing. The respitory doctor came over and after listening to his chest for breaths, she heard nothing at first and then 15-30 sec later he was breathing completely normal. Made us very nervous of course (apparently he had also done this last night too).

June 26, 2007 - Tuesday
Arrived at hospital around noon. Day nurse: . Night nurse: Joanne.
Lowered his dosage of fentanyl, which was great because that also allowed him to breath better on his own, allowing them to lower the amount that the ventilator was helping him breathe. They lowered the amount of breaths provided by the ventilator per minute from 20 to 18.

June 27, 2007 - Wednesday
Arrived at hospital around 11:15 am. Day nurse: Bethany. Night nurse: Joanne.
Because of the small amount coming out of the replogle - they change it every 4 hours - (4 ccs, then only 1 cc), the doctor recommended clamping the replogle. We were so happy because this meant that with a day of monitoring, if he was doing well, they could start him on pedialite tomorrow. Bethany showed us his xray from the morning which showed that there was not much going on as far as gas patterns in his intestines. BabyBoy's bilirubin count was a little high, so they would watch to see if they would need to do phototherapy for jaundice. Lowered his dosage of fentanyl again and changed the settings on his ventilator. In the evening they stopped his fentanyl and he got the ventilator out! Huge victory! Left a little before 11 pm.

June 28, 2007 - Thursday
Arrived at hospital shortly before noon. Day nurse: Bethany. Night nurse: Mary Ann. When we arrived, the nurse told us that they had to unclamp the replogle tube because he threw up a couple times. This meant that everything was not passing through his tummy. A little discouraged but still trusting God. By this morning he had gotten the IV out of his left hand and the artereal line out of his right hand. :) This meant that we got to hold our little man for the first time since he was born. It was so amazing and fun! He got a little upset while we were holding him, we calmed him and loved on him, and when we changed his diaper he had a big poop, yay! Daddy did a fantastic job changing the diaper. We saw his xray from today and saw that there some great gas patterns in his intestines, yay! In the evening Mary Ann gave him a tylenol (a suppository...bummer) to see if that would help calm him down. Even though he was under the lights for jaundice, she let us hold him while the tylenol started to work. He was completely calm in our arms while we talked to him and loved on him. We stayed at the hospital until almost midnight. He had trouble getting comfy and needed a little extra attention while in the incubator.

June 29, 2007 - Friday
Arrived at hospital shortly before noon. Day nurse: Amy. Night nurse: Amanda. He had an xray this morning that showed that the gas in his tummy had moved through, which is great! Still under the lights. We've gotten to change his diaper and take his temperature everyday.

No comments:

Twitter   Pinterest   RSS

Newest Edition

 photo IMG_7802_zps455365ec.jpg

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved